urgent help needed, seriously hurt chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ashfarms2010, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ashfarms2010

ashfarms2010 New Egg

Feb 23, 2011
    I attempted to transition a couple of my older chicks into the main coop. Apparently the pecking order got out of hand, my RIR rearend is a mess!! I have attempted to clean the area. I am now at a loss as to what I can do next to avoid infection. I am somewhat new to chickens and this is the first time I have had one my chickens hurt pretty badly. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. ashfarms2010

ashfarms2010 New Egg

Feb 23, 2011
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Poor little sweetie. [​IMG] The pic did not come thru [you are new] You need to SEPARATE that one from the rest of the gremlins. Just make sure she has clean bedding and rub neospiron or any other antibiotic that does NOT have pain killer in it. You can put alittle pedialyte [or other electrolye liquid] for her to drink, regular foods and just keep an eye on her bum to make sure it stays clean.
    I am nuring back a roo that got massacured by his "roommates" and he had a 1/2 dollar size hole in his head! I did all this and he is healing up nicely....[ I just could not stomach sewing him up:( ]
    I hope that helps....[​IMG]

4. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Picture just came thru......Is this near the vent? or on her back???? Hard to tell...
    SEPARATE HER / cut away all feathers around the wound / flush with peroxide / blot dry and rub on the ointment.

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    1 cc combi-pen IM if a standard size chicken. keep it clean. they r pretty hardy. have one running around that had 50 stitches at once.

6. ashfarms2010

ashfarms2010 New Egg

Feb 23, 2011
    if you are referring to her back end where the feathers turn up, then yes. I have removed her from the coop and placed her back into the broader where she has been since she was a day old. In reference to an ontiment? where is it I can get this? like a farm and fleet or TSC?

7. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    You can use human ointment from the local drugstore......I am finding that these guys are pretty hardy birds.. I have had my share of wounds to fix..[​IMG]

As long as there is NOT a gaping wound where you actually see muscles then it will heal on its own. ALSO, once the wound stops oozing liquid (as all wounds do be it people or chickens) you can put on "Wound Cote" which is a powder that is used for horses and livestock. It is a good item to have in your "Chicken medicine cabinet". That you can get at the feed store.

8. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    OOOPS forgot the most important part >>>> TLC and lots of it [​IMG] I am amazed at how all the attention hugs and petting does for wound healing.....just like us,right.....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ashfarms2010

ashfarms2010 New Egg

Feb 23, 2011
    looking at the wound it looks pretty fleshy to me, however there is a place where it is questionable. When you say ontiment are you meaning like a hydrocortizone(sp?)

10. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    No, neosporin / polysporin type antibiotic oinment ... just make sure it does NOT have pain killer in the ingredients...[​IMG]

Hydrocortisone is for itching........the roo I am healing with the head wound, that was gaping with muscles showing (so gross) and this is all I did......keep the wound clean clean clean...................

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by