URGENT***HELP NEEDED SICK CHICKEN.

Triggerusa

Hatching
Oct 8, 2017
Hello. We have had chickens about a year. All ex battery except the one im talking about who was given to me.i dont know age.

5 days ago i came home from work and all chickens bit my hand off for corn. As i looked back this chicken seemed browner and had head buried down and didnt move a lot.

We checked her and it looked like red mite. I immediatly bought powder and we covered her, and other and cleaned coop.

She has never gotten better. She kind of drifts about. She is in the porch now. She eats corn, rasberries and yesterday layers pellets. She drinks and has had vitimin drops in there but she is still luthargic.

She has diarrhea which is like liquid but over past few days has been sweet corn and green stuff. We let her about and she pecks but with little emergy.

I found an egg like thing on the floor. Like an olive. It was brown as though baked.

No signs of blood?

She is thin and i can feel her breast bone.
Waddle is dark pink and folded over.

Help.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she could have salpingitis and laying internally. This can be common in older laying hens. The object she laid sounds like a lash egg. She may or may not have egg yolk peritonitis. There is not a whole lot that can be done for intenal laying. Antibiotics sometimes are prescribed, although they will not cure it. I would try to keep her comfortable, and offer her some chopped egg, tuna, or a little liver with her usual chicken feed. Sometimes wetting the feed in a small bowl with a little plain yogurt will appeal to them. If she gets to a point where she is suffering, I would think about putting her down. Sorry that she is sick.

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she could have salpingitis and laying internally. This can be common in older laying hens. The object she laid sounds like a lash egg. She may or may not have egg yolk peritonitis. There is not a whole lot that can be done for intenal laying. Antibiotics sometimes are prescribed, although they will not cure it. I would try to keep her comfortable, and offer her some chopped egg, tuna, or a little liver with her usual chicken feed. Sometimes wetting the feed in a small bowl with a little plain yogurt will appeal to them. If she gets to a point where she is suffering, I would think about putting her down. Sorry that she is sick.

Can chickens survive this?

They can live for some time, but her quality of life might be affected. Some hens will lay internally for years, while some get peritonitis which make them sicker, and can die sooner. Since your hen is skinny, I would try to help her gain weight. If you should lose her or choose to put her down, it would be educational to open her up and look for signs of internal laying or EYP.

I have a hen who had an egg break inside her. When this happens, it's almost certain to cause infection, so I started her on a round of an antibiotic immediately.

She has survived, and she's behaving normally in every way but laying. Although she tries to lay an egg occasionally, nothing is produced. I expected this. EYP is a most serious condition. If your hen survives it, she's probably never going to lay eggs again.

Back
Top Bottom