URGENT HELP NEEDED**UPDATED** GONE DOWN HILL HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nicola, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    i have a couple day old chick who has a leg condition and i dont know what it is: the leg stick out behind it and it cant stand up or walk it kind of rolls on the floor in every direction and when it kind of does stand for a breif moment its lob sided WHAT COULD IT BE AND I REALY DONT WANT TO HAVE TO CULL IT . THE LEG IS BAD. ITS MY FIRST CHICKEN

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    bump

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    this could be spraddle leg or a stretched tentand
    you bleep use a band-aid and wrap it around the legs of the chick leaving the white cushion part inbetween the legs let the bandaid act like a rubbertand thingy

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    do a search on splayed/ spraddle legs.

5. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    OH NO the chick has gone down hill last nite it was fine hobbling around with its splint on so i changed it but put it higher up the leg and i went to bed this morning i wake up to find it cant walk anymore and just lays there on its hocks head on the ground and floppy (as meaning it cant support its head properly) any ideas on what could of gone wrong was the splint to tight in its legs?
    [​IMG] i dont want too loose itand it just done nearly the whole exorsist thing with its head

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Is the chick eating and drinking and going to the bathroom?
    What kind of chicken is he?

7. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    i think its a leghorn im not sure it has done a poo but is not eating or drinking even though i am trying to give it water through a sringe it just shakes its head and i offer it food and it ignores it and its very weak and sleepy even though it has been asleep all night!

8. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    and it keep turnng its head funny and lying on it side i think its 4 or 5 days old now and its not making any noise even when it opens it mouth

9. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Doesn't sound to good, have no advice but wanted to say I am sorry you and the chick are going through this. [​IMG]

10. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    any ideas on what could be wrong?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by