Urgent help needed with bator setup

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goochgirl, Dec 10, 2010.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    I got all cockey (no pun intended) last night when my bator worked and humidity was up higher than I needed, but no vents in yet. I've read on many posts that have small boxes that they found the 40 w bulb to be too much and switched to a 25w. Since my light was off more than it was on, and it was so humid I couldn't see through the glass, I figured I should change to 25w. I put one in today and it looked ok, but the humidity wasn't up too high. I built the "cage" around the water pan and the lightbulb with barely enough room for the eggs. I moved the thermometer closer to where the eggs are. Its taken a while, but it is 96 with 51%. That's with the thermostat turned up higher than it should be. I decided that I was going to have to switch to the 40w bulb. There is no room with the cage unless I move the bulb sideways and that means rewiring the thing. I'm up for suggestions. I can rewire tomorrow morning if I have too. This box is too small! Suggestions, please??????

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I am totally inexperienced with this issue and home made bators but just wanted to give you a bump until some of the real bator makers chime in-maybe change the title of your thread to
    Urgent help needed with home made bator set up??? good luck [​IMG]

3. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:Do you have eggs in the incubator right now are are you still just building the incubator?

4. goochgirl

May 2, 2010
    I'm building it, now. I thought it was ready the other night. We are participating in the New Years hatch, so set the eggs in 3 hours!

5. thechickonthehill

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:You can get those 40W bulbs in a small size (for ceiling fans). Have you tried one of those?

6. goochgirl

May 2, 2010
    That is what I'm using. Unfortunately, the 25w bulbs are even smaller. I gave up, and rewired the thing this morning so I can use the larger 40w bulb. Looks like it is working well again.

7. thechickonthehill

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:Well good luck with your hatch. Be sure to post pics of your 'bator when you fill it up! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by