1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Highland Spirit, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Highland Spirit

Highland Spirit New Egg

Jun 16, 2014
    East Mountain, NS
    I am new to raising chickens. My 10 babies are two weeks old and one of them started becoming listless today. Not eating, drinking, sleeping alot. leaning to one side. Tail feathers tucked under, wings droopy, chest feathers seem puffed out. Vent looks clear, tried wiping anyway with lukewarm water and afterwards looked like she was pulsing or trying to push something out! We tried to encourage her with some water but she vomited straight after. We have put her in quarantine meantime with her own food and water and clean litter.
    Have been feeding them chick mash only. She looks smaller than the rest, but not being bullied as the rest don't take much interest. I'm not sure what is wrong, but if anyone has any suggestions I would be most greatful. :hit

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    With chicks you need to immediately suspect cocci. You need to get them on corrid quickly. It kills very fast. Assume that's it and then if it doesn't help then you can try something else. It is the most common killer of chicks.

3. Highland Spirit

Highland Spirit New Egg

Jun 16, 2014
    East Mountain, NS
    Thank you for your help, after reading all the help pages prior to posting I suspected that was what it was, but just needed your expert opinions. It's very sad to see one of your flock unwell.
    The good news is that this morning my lackluster chick had escaped her quarantine and was back with the other chicks and you would never know which one it was, they are all running around as energetic as ever. I am off to the store to buy some corrid anyway - just in case!
    Thank you again to those who took the time to reply I don't feel quite so alone in my new momma stage when there is such great advice at my fingertips.:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by