Urgent Help Needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FarmMom99, Mar 5, 2015.

1. FarmMom99

FarmMom99 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2015
    I just checked in on my chicks and I had 3 that have been pecked on the back and are bleeding. One is worse than other 2. Right now I took the 3 injured out of the brooder and put them in another. What do I do for them??
    I've been watching and I have one chick that seems to peck more than others but quite a few of them were going after the 3 injured.

2. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    How many chicks do you have, how old, and how much space do they have?

3. FarmMom99

Feb 26, 2015
    23 chicks, probably about 3-4 wks old. The farm store was no help with age. They're getting big. I just got off the phone with dh and told him I think the brooder is getting to small. Some of them have gotten absolutely huge in the past week. Those seem to be the peckers.

4. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    I was told 2 square ft per bird at 3-4 weeks old. I have 31 chicks about the same age I have to move to a bigger brooder this weekend. If they don't have enough space the will start to peck at each other.

5. KentuckyMom

KentuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    Foster, Kentucky
    I think you did the right thing in separating them. I only bought six two years ago and they quickly outgrew the extra large Rubbermaid tote I put them in. I ended up finding a large cardboard box and separating them. Even with only six, there were aggressive -vs- "picked on" chicks.

6. FarmMom99

Feb 26, 2015
    Is there anything I need to do for the wounded chicks? The worst one has been pecked all down it's back.

7. Belott

Belott Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Belott, Texas

Go to your local feed store and get either Blue Kote or Rooster Booster (peck no more) put that on them and that should discourage further pecking.

David

8. FarmMom99

Feb 26, 2015
    Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by