Urgent Help Please!!! Blood coming from my Rooster's Rectum...

PeepsnPozzy

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
I took care of the chickens tonight and noticed a considerable amout of blood coming from my rooster's (Pops) rectum. Pops rectum appears to be bulging and he seems to be experiencing severe constipation (he squeals when he has to go). I can see the stool trying to emerge. I didn't know if it is best to allow Pops to pass the stool on his own or if there is anything I can do to help him?

I isolated him from the other chickens and I just gave him treatment (Corid) for coccidiosis. However, Pops is 4 years old so I am not sure this is really the issue here. We did get an unusual amount of rain and I am not sure if he chose to drink from one of puddles in the horse pens (I heard contamination can be an issue with this type of situation).

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you.

I am not going to pretend to know what to do about the blood or what it means. But, I do know how to get him to poop. Dip a q tip in some oil and rub it inside his vent for lube. Put some molasses in the drinking water and feed applesauce as natural laxative. Hope he feels better soon!

It may be that your rooster has had a prolapsed vent. They will have trouble passing stool if the vent prolapses. If there is red tissue sticking out, it needs to be pushed back in with honey or Preparation H applied. Molasses or Karo syrup, or mineral oil in a tiny amount can be used as a laxative.

I just wanted to say thank you both for your input. Pops seemed to react well to the Corid medication. The bleeding stopped overnight. I followed both of your advice, because he still seemed to be having trouble passing his stools. It worked well! He is bright, alert, and appears to be on the mend!

Foreverlearning and Eggcessive...Thank you both so much!

Thank you for the update, and glad to hear he is better. After a round of Corid, most chickens will need a week or two of vitamins and probiotic to fix their gut bacteria and replace vitamins lost with cocci (if he had it.)

Back
Top Bottom