URGENT: Help please! Injured chick?

Jujubeans2008

Chirping
Mar 20, 2016
Molino, Florida
My husband found one of our chicks laying in the brooder this morning with its head all of the way back into its back. Its feet are either always stretched out, or the whole foot is curled up. It can move its feet though. All it does is lay there. It is breathing heavily and its eyes are closed. Has anybody else had this issue? Is there anything we can do to help it? My husband has been giving it water through a dropper, but we aren't sure what else to do. Vets are not usually open on Saturdays here. :(
After doing some research, we believe it might be wry neck. We made an early trip to walmart and bought some vitamin b supplements, along with selenium and pedialyte. We are mixing it together along with some molasses and syringing it carefully to the baby because it is unable to eat and drink on its own.
Does this sound like wry syndrome? Any suggestions on what we should do? I am attaching a picture of the chick.

My husband found one of our chicks laying in the brooder this morning with its head all of the way back into its back. Its feet are either always stretched out, or the whole foot is curled up. It can move its feet though. All it does is lay there. It is breathing heavily and its eyes are closed. Has anybody else had this issue? Is there anything we can do to help it? My husband has been giving it water through a dropper, but we aren't sure what else to do. Vets are not usually open on Saturdays here. :(
After doing some research, we believe it might be wry neck. We made an early trip to walmart and bought some vitamin b supplements, along with selenium and pedialyte. We are mixing it together along with some molasses and syringing it carefully to the baby because it is unable to eat and drink on its own.
Does this sound like wry syndrome? Any suggestions on what we should do? I am attaching a picture of the chick.

This happened to two of my chicks and they both passed away. Apparently this is common.

That is often how all dying chick's look. Get some honey if you have it, sugar if not, an mix it into some water. I usually warmed the water a bit to mix it. Then making sure the water is not too hot feed it by the dropper to the chick (I used an old medicine syringe and gave the chick's 1.87 at a time) then place on a warmer and let sleep for a while.
If the chick perks up and starts standing you can switch to a slurry of hardboiled yoke, a bit of salt, honey, and water, mash up and feed that to chick with dropper.
I made the mistake once of putting chick back with others too soon, so try to keep seperate for a day and see if fully recovered. Mostly to keep the other chick's from crowding the weaker one out.

Yes, I will definitely do that if she starts feeling better. Right now, all I can get down her is liquid. I'm hoping that this is enough. She doesn't seem to be in pain. She looks pretty peaceful.

She is also separated from the others, but she is right next to their brooders in a box under a heat lamp. So she can hear their peeps.

Back
Top Bottom