Urgent help please swollen neck 3 days old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suprise-Chicks, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Suprise-Chicks

Suprise-Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all, help, this 3 day old naked neck, has a swollen neck. It's not eating or drinking and haven't seen it poo???

2. Suprise-Chicks

Here is a photo[​IMG]

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would post this in the injuries section just in case im wrong.But its head could of been at a weird position in the egg and got swollen people here on byc had the same problem but recovered a few days later

4. Suprise-Chicks

Thank you so much. Yes this little one had a hard start to life, but it wasn't swollen when it hatched.

This baby was dry and stuck in the shell, he or she needed help.

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Its hard to see were it is swollen in the pic.Are you sure the bumb isn't her crop

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    If so it could be impacted crop which that would explain not eating or pooping does she have grit?

7. Suprise-Chicks

[​IMG]It could be her crop, and no grit yet, she was only born about 3 days ago, I wouldn't of thought she could eat that much already to yet impacted crop. Should I give them grit with the starter?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
  9. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    What have you fed her for the last 3 days treats and food etc.And yes they can get impacted crop at 3 days old.Try to treat it fast it can be fatal

10. Suprise-Chicks

A little sugar water, and raw egg yolk last night when she was weak. She didn't want to eat much. I had to clear her bottom this morning too. Other then that just starter in the brooder, bump feels like a water balloon.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by