Urgent! Hen aspirating

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
i was just out giving meds to my chickens who have an upper respiratory. i think one of them is aspirating. i must have gotten the medicine into her lungs. She is struggling, coughing, neck extended. Is there anything i can do to help, or did i just kill this poor bird?

i patted her on the back, but that didn't seem to help. She was wheezing so badly this morning and really struggled when i tried to get the medicine in her. i probably should have just injected it.

i found another thread just now on aspiration. It sounds like there is nothing i can do. i put her in a crate in the shed where she will be warm. She will either make it or not. i feel horrible. This has been a very bad week. Just want to climb in a hole and hide.

Oh Colleen, I am so sorry. I just saw this. That has been a worry of mine too when given meds. I hope she'll be ok. Don't beat yourself up. You are trying to help your birds. I'll check back for updates and send prayers your way.

Mary

Quote:
I'm so sorry..
sad.png
hugs.gif

i brought her inside and put a heat lamp on her cage. i already had Penny, my favorite hen from that pen inside. So Penny is keeping her company. She is still struggling to breath - neck stretching out and making "wop" sounds. i had heard gurgling in her lungs prior to giving meds, but much worse now.

You know, i had read of warnings of possible aspiration when giving liquid meds. But i've done it so many times with no problems. i hope she pulls through.

If you have a large syringe and a tube (like when you tube feed) you can put that into the hole behind the tongue to where about her chest is and suction with the syringe while you quickly pull the tube out. You can get some of it out and then start her on antibiotics. It has worked for me in the past......

i don't have a syringe, and not sure i am able to do that without causing further damage. If i had any money i would take her into the vet. But that just isn't a possibility. i appreciate the information, i'm just unsure how i would do that without a syringe.

So far she is hanging in there. My other hen inside, Penny, is being very vocal and upset seeing her friend in distress.

Back
Top Bottom