URGENT. Hen attacked by dog. Large wound. Antibiotics?

Sonshineacres02

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2021
One of our beloved hens was attacked by a dog about three days ago. We are attempting to save her. She had a large wound on her breast. The skin is torn open and separated from the muscle. We can’t tell if the wounds are more extensive internally. We have been flushing with luke warm water and treating with Vetericyn Spray.
It’s looking a little grey and oozy. I suspect the start of an infection.
We think we should treat her with an antibiotic. I have never done this before.
I will share a photo of what out farm store carries but I need help if it is appropriate and also if it’s ok for chickens. I also don’t know how to give an injection to poultry. Only ever given injections to horses.
She also has bad diarrhea that smells terrible!! She is eating a little and drinking a little as well.
She is an average size hen. Maybe 5 lbs.
help with dosage, how many times, and any other pertinent info. Thanks!
F2BD8670-91DD-4A01-B9D6-0BF1B06E14DA.jpeg

One of our beloved hens was attacked by a dog about three days ago. We are attempting to save her. She had a large wound on her breast. The skin is torn open and separated from the muscle. We can’t tell if the wounds are more extensive internally. We have been flushing with luke warm water and treating with Vetericyn Spray.
It’s looking a little grey and oozy. I suspect the start of an infection.
We think we should treat her with an antibiotic. I have never done this before.
I will share a photo of what out farm store carries but I need help if it is appropriate and also if it’s ok for chickens. I also don’t know how to give an injection to poultry. Only ever given injections to horses.
She also has bad diarrhea that smells terrible!! She is eating a little and drinking a little as well.
She is an average size hen. Maybe 5 lbs.
help with dosage, how many times, and any other pertinent info. Thanks!View attachment 3008039
What chicken breed is she?

A wounded chicken needs proper wound treatment. Plain water does little to flush away bacteria. Saline in better, and so is soapy water. But to get rid of the most bacteria, a Betadine solution or another antibacterial wound wash is best.

If infection has begun, debriding of pus or dead skin is also necessary. But do not cut away any skin flap still attached to a blood supply. It can be laid over the cleaned wound as a skin graft. "Glue" it in place with antibacterial ointments.

Back
Top Bottom