**URGENT** Hen is walking funny and loosing feathers PLEASE READ AND HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheReadyBoys, Feb 18, 2013.

1. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    OK THIS IS URGENT! I WENT OUT TO THE PEN TODAY AND MY HEN WAS SITTING ON THE ROOST AND SHE HAD NO STOMACH FEATHERS AND SHE IS REALLY RED IN SOME SPOTS. I DON'T KNOW IF SHE IS BEING PECKED, OR IF IT IS THE OTHER HENS! SHE IS STILL STANDING STRAIGHT UP AND JUST SITTING THERE. WHEN I WENT OUT, SHE WAS PICKING FEATHERS OFF OF HER. I THINK SHE MAY COULD BE DYING. SHE MAY NOT LAST MUCH LONGER. PLEASE ANSWER, EVEN IF YOU DON'T THINK YOUR RIGHT. I NEED ANSWERS. ALSO SHOULD I SEPARATE HER FROM THE REST? SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, BUT IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO ME! PLEASE HELP!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. ChiChiLady

ChiChiLady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Burlington VT
    There is a thread labled "don't know what else to do" talks about egg binding has a picture like this. Is this what you are describing?
    [​IMG]

3. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Sort of yes

4. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    **BUMP**

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    One of two reasons come to mind.... if she is plucking feathers from her chest she may be broody.....

If she is having problems with possibly being egg bound it would be advisable to soak her in warm water for 20 minutes or so and feel to see if you can help to move the egg along to help her pass it - you can use KY to insert your (gloved) finger inside the vent to ascertain if an egg is stuck inside .her

Suzie

6. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    I'll try the water ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by