1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*URGENT* Hen with a presumably impacted crop won't poop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zinnia-Hen, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    Please help me. My hen, who presumably has an impacted crop, is extremely lethargic. She's been in all day and I've done as much as possible, treating her with olive oil and massages. She isn't wanting to drink or eat, the last she did was around 3:00-4:00 and it was very little. She's been breathing hard and seems rather limp and lets me hold her, which is incredibly unusual. So far, I've seen no poop either. Her vent is not blocked on the outside, though her poops that she took earlier were running. What should I do?

2. Zinnia-Hen

Jan 29, 2011
    I know I just put this up, but please help me. She might not have very long left. I've looked all around for remedies and so far nothing of use...

3. TacomaChickNMom

TacomaChickNMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    I'm so sorry. I hate feeling helpless. I wish I had some advice but I just dont, other than if nobody knows how to help you consider taking it to the vet. :-(

4. Zinnia-Hen

Jan 29, 2011
    Thanks for at least trying - I may have to give up here alone and call the vets. She just seems so vulnerable and ill, to the point I can't even tell if she's comfortable or not. I may just have to let nature take care of it and make her most comfortable for her last moments, as much as that would hurt me. But I don't know.

5. Zinnia-Hen

Jan 29, 2011
    I just came back from treating her again; she's a tiny bit better. I got some food and water down her, she actually opened her eyes a little more and was breathing better.

Just in the meantime, are there any medications that could help her? She seems like she could actually be constipated now, she was standing like she had to poop but nothing was happening.

6. TacomaChickNMom

TacomaChickNMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
  7. Zinnia-Hen

Jan 29, 2011
    I already did that. Unfortunately, by the time you posted that, she was long gone.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... Do you know how to tube feed? IMHO, dehydration is what usually kills them.

9. Zinnia-Hen

Jan 29, 2011

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, often when the dying process starts, the food stops moving, so no poop, but full crop. Again, sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is to lose them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by