URGENT! Hens Fighting At Nestbox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DustyDawgy, Jan 3, 2014.

1. DustyDawgy

DustyDawgy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    U.S.A
    I have four hens that live in a run the size of a school bus. Their coop is 4 feet long with a 1ft 6in - 4 ft single nest box. Two of my hens are fighting for the best spot! HELP! One of the hens, a barred rock, pecks my RIR's face, and won't stop until she moves. I don't think it is a space problem, is it? I just noticed it today, and I am really worried. they are my first chickens. Any suggestions?

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
    A Very Dusty Dawg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. chickensgawk

chickensgawk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    I would suggest putting a diveder in the middle to block the hens from each other while laying.

3. :goodpost: I agree

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    With communal nest boxes it is normal for hens to have a favorite nesting spot and for multiple hens to try and lay in the same area, and for arguments to ensue. They do the same thing if you have single nest boxes, there is always a favorite box or two that everybody wants, hens like to lay where other hens (especially the boss hen) have laid... if she thinks it is a good spot it must be idea. If the BR seems to be protecting the whole nest box, or a lot more than she should, like suggested, can you divide the nest box up into smaller sections? Put fake eggs / golf balls in all of the smaller ones and they are more likely to use more than one, even if there is still a favorite one. I know lots of people have good luck with communal nest boxes but when I have tried it sooner or later I seem to wind with overly bossy hens who just don't like to share even big boxes, it is worse when the hens are of mixed ages.

5. DustyDawgy

Apr 13, 2013
    U.S.A
    Thank you, and do you think my BR could kill my RIR? They were raised together.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Nest box arguments usually don't escalate nearly that far, but if you can prevent them you might as well, you don't want a bossy hen to get in a lucky strike and wind up with a bleeding comb or something. With limited nesting boxes I mainly don't like them since it can lead to floor eggs or other hens being unwilling to use the nesting boxes if they get tired of dealing with the dominant hen or are afraid of her.

7. DustyDawgy

Apr 13, 2013
    U.S.A
    I only have four hens... And a four foot nestbox...

8. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I heard that they would. In fact, when we had 5 chickens, they fought every night and could peck to death. a couple chickens were covered with blood one day. We sold them to a farmer.

Separating them is a good idea. I only have 2 chickens now. The both of two are sick, so keeping them inside, but they also fight as soon as they are together. So I don't let them stay together.

9. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    Well, This is not about chickens,but 2 mice that are ( was) my daughter and husband's pets. One of two died in the morning, I didn't know until now..
    When my husband looked into the other one who alive has only one ear.. the other ear was nibbled. They FOUGHT and one killed the other one.

Also he ate the one who get killed some of it, which was gross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by