Urgent! Hurricane headed our way and an injured chick keeps getting attacked by other chicks!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheag, Aug 7, 2014.

1. sheag

sheag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    So I was making preparations for the hurricane headed our way this afternoon on the east coast of the Big Island of Hawaii and I made a bonehead move...I didn't secure the latch on the door to the coop run this morning. All eight of my 7-week old chicks got out and my Bernese Mountain Dog grabbed one. Other than some plucked tail feathers and a drop of blood on her foot, I don't see any obvious injuries, however when I went to put her back in the coop, the other chicks started pecking at her! She kept trying to lay down in the corner and they just won't leave her alone. I took her out and have her in an large dog crate that I was using for our chick brooder before our coop was built. She is peeping sadly. Should I put one other chick in there with her? How do I stop the other chicks from pecking her? HELP!

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Try putting some Blue Kote on her bloody injuries...chicks/chickens are attracted to red..if you do not have any Blue Kote to hand ...do you have any blue food dye that you can apply to the wounds to disguise the red at the moment ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by