1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT! Ice Storm coming= POWER LOSS.......WITH BROODER FULL OF CHICKS!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantambury, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bantambury

bantambury life does go on.

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    This is urgent! Here in NC we are supposed to be hit with a major ice storm pretty soon loosing power.....of all things I was worried about everything around me....my refrigerator, stove, heat! I TOTALY forgot about my 12 chicks in the garage!!! They are 6 weeks and 1 day old today.....their brooder temp set to 70ish.....my house is 65, and in my garage its chilly enough for me to get goose bumps and have to wear a sweatshirt. right now, outside it says its 30 degrease. I don't know how cold my garage will get....better yet my house when we loose our power!

I have NEVER hatched or had chicks in the brooder in the winter.....for the fear of THIS happening! what do you guys do to keep your chicks warm when the power goes out!?!?!?!? I don't want to loose these babies! hatched them from my laying hens....my first fertile flock ever. (just started keeping roos in June)
    I was thinking one way to keep the chicks warm is to keep a fleece blanket I don't really care for anymore in the brooder.....along with some hot hands covered in paper towel (so the chicks don't eat them) will this work?

I really need to find out what you all do pronto before it starts showing or raining! (so I can get out to the store if I need to.) Everything I have thought of other than the blanket and hot hands involved needing heat, which would not work.

PLEASE help!
    thanks,

~Bantambury

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I would get a nice clean large box of some sort and bring them in the house, the house will likely stay warmer than the garage and being that they are 6 weeks already they should be getting fairly well feathered, with any luck your house will stay a fair bit warmer than the garage you can ad a blanket or whatever and they could keep each other warm. Also if you have a gas stove which will still function during a power outage you could heat up water and dump hot water into bottles, lay one or 2 in with them, they could huddle around it like a broody

2 people like this.
  3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Well...first, I brood chicks in the outside coop and harden them off to the ambient temps there long before 6 wks of age. Of course, I never get chicks in the dead of winter, either, so I know this doesn't help you any right now.

Provide deep, warm, dry bedding and heat water to place into jars, hot water bottles or plastic bottles for them to snuggle next to, keep changing them out. Make their area smaller and block off drafts so that they can contain their body heat into the space. If they have feathers they will do better than you think they will, though you might have spoiled them to a good degree by providing a heat lamp too close for too long. Upturn a cardboard box in one end of the brooder with one end cut out and they may huddle under that to preserve their body heat...you can also place the hot water bottles there~wrapped in cloth, of course~and then place a few there so they get the idea of going there and more will follow. At night, place them all into that boxed area with the hot water bottles.

I wouldn't do the fleece because in short order it will be covered in filth, poop and dampness from poop. If you want to include it, you can drape it over the cardboard box to conserve the heat. For the hot water bottles, you can fill up 2 ltr pop bottles and place a large tube sock over them or even smaller pop bottles with smaller socks over them.

2 people like this.
  4. bantambury

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    YES! thank you!!! I have a gas stove! I will do that! that wil be perfect! thank you!!!

5. bantambury

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] and here it starts.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They are 6 weeks old.. they don't need any heat now. I had my chicks moved outside last winter at 7 weeks and it was well bellow 30 some days.

I have 4 week old silkies at 50 degree temps now. My suggestion is to not worry about them at 6 weeks old. They are plenty old to do without heat.

2 people like this.
  7. bantambury

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    thank you! my brooder is one of those junky 14 year old things. I borrow it from my neighbor.....there is a built in heating element, like a rod which goes across the brooder. I burn myself on that stupid thing every time I reach in. it has a metal grate on the bottom.....here are some pics so you can have an idea....I don't relly have any recent pics, just my silkie from a few days ago.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think I may use the cardboard box I put them in when I clean my brooder. to save the box I put down newspaper and change it out. I think I will use the box and put a smaller box inside with fleece on top of it. inside that small bot (tilted on its side) I will bit the water bottles with warm water inside a tube sock. I will give them warm water to drink, but not hot.

I can place wood chips I use for my older chickens in the box too......but they have never touched wood chips.....will they be ok for the to use? ill post a picture....

8. bantambury

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    ok! ill bring my brooder down some more. I have realized the lamp is turning off more oftin....it only goes on a few times a day. I will bring them down from 60 to about 50. thanks!

I think I will turn them out once their new coop is done. It just need nest boxes, paint, a rood and chicken wire. I need to finish this soon!

WOW! I had my other chickens in the brooder for like a month and a half.....with still little heat. well, now I have learned and will bring it down more quickly.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep, wood chips are just fine for them. Mine are brooded right on the big flock's bedding from day one of their lives and it's a mix of wood chips, leaves, pine needles, soil, etc. Let us know how it all turns out for them!

10. bantambury

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] will this be safe for the chicks?
    [​IMG] their unfinished coop. :(
    [​IMG] [​IMG] weird brooder
    [​IMG] temp
    [​IMG] i realized my noncold hardy breeds are staying by my heating element....is this bad? Are they cold too or are they just too used to heat?
    [​IMG] snowing fast now....for us that is.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by