URGENT! Illness needs diagnosis

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rugger, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Rugger

Rugger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    So a few weeks back I had purchased a few chickens to add to my flock from Tractor Supply and now I may have ran into a major problem my biggest and largest chick has had these symptoms for a while but today they worsened, It was only originally discharge from the eye and bubbling(looked like eyelid grew over eye). Now the chick is coughing or sneezing sounds like its clearing nose like snorting. And another chick of the same species is snorting as well.
    Photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    His legs also seems awfully large that may be normal I am new to broilers and do not plan on eating them
    I have two chickens outside and if they are exposed will they show symptoms at all or if this is serious must they as well be removed.

2. Familyochickens

Familyochickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    Indiana
    keep the healthy chicks separate from the sick, and wash your hands inbetween, i would call an avian vet for help. however i would start them on tetracycline for the infection, refer to the package for dosing, put in the water and food for first week then just one for the second week for a total of 14days treatment. hth and good luck

3. Rugger

Oct 9, 2012
    Will this disease continue to spread or will my flock be ok?

Update:
    Last Night two of the chicks were snorting now it seems to be the last chick that has had the eye problem from birth. He's very active at some points just like every chick I've had, Although right away I realized he was extremely large, At this point I have bantams and he has to be 6x their size and his own species is half his size.

IF it is Infectious bronchitis Will I have to cull all chicks that I have.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  4. Rugger

Oct 9, 2012
    If this is Infectiouse broncitus I will have to get rid of the chicks can I return them to tractor supply sine the disease came from their?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by