Urgent Incubation Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by christylynne11, Jul 18, 2019.

1. christylynne11

christylynne11 Chirping

May 17, 2019
    I received 13 shipped eggs yesterday but most of the air cells were ruptured. I let them sit for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator 2 hours ago (small end down in paper egg carton tops to encourage new air cells). However, the seller just informed me that she is sending 13 more, to arrive in 6 days. Should I stop my current incubation and wait for the other eggs, then start them all together? Or is it too late to stop the current incubation after 2 hours at 100°?

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Songster

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    It's not too late to stop the current eggs' incubation, BUT just know that your hatch rate will decrease the older the eggs get. Best hatch rate is with eggs no more than 10 days old. In the long run I think it would be better to hold the current eggs until the new ones arrive so everyone hatches at the same time, but that might decrease your hatch rate from the eggs you currently have. Just so you are aware. ;)

3. christylynne11

christylynne11 Chirping

May 17, 2019
    Thank you for the advice! I was wanting to wait for the new eggs but just wasn't sure if it would be safe to turn off the incubator after 2 hours. I think it's worth any possible decline in hatchability given the condition of the current eggs anyway. Besides, I recently had a very successful hatch from eggs up to 25 days old that were stored in a carton on my kitchen counter, so I'm not too worried about holding them an extra 6 days. They were just collected this past Sunday.

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Songster

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Ah, ok! Then yes, everything should be fine then. :) Just take those other eggs out right away. It's no different than if a hen sat on her egg all night after laying it and then got off the next morning to continue with life until she has a full nest to sit tight on. Development doesn't start immediately.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. christylynne11

christylynne11 Chirping

May 17, 2019
    Perfect. That's what I needed to know. :woot

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: