1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urgent is this a Roo please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rafa, May 22, 2011.

1. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Sorry to re-post but really need to know on this one. Everyone is convinced its a roo but me! Could be why Rocky hates her. Was told bluebell hen about 20 weeks old, not yet laying. Hope you can help, many thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Looks like a hen.

3. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Great thanks, thats two of us. Hope theres more that agree, I'm out-numbered here!

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    looks like a pullet to me

5. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    Looks like a girl [​IMG]

6. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    This is looking good, thanks guys. If she was a rooster at what age would she start crowing and start resembling a rooster?

7. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I had one rooster that started crowing at 8 weeks. Two of his hatch mates hadn't crowed at 26 weeks, but it turned out the dominate roo was not letting them crow. If you don't have another roo, and that one is not crowing, it is a really good sign you have a girl.

8. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Thanks Delmar, I do have another Roo, Rocky, which is about a year and a half old and if I remember right he started crowing about 17 weeks. Rocky actually hates this new 'pullet' which is why I am questioning its gender and everyone is so convinced its a Roo! When I say hate I mean full on attacks it at every given chance, I was going to try and re-home the poor little thing, even more so if it is a Roo, as it doesnt stand a chance and is absolutely terrified. I will give her another week as it is so sad to watch that she is outcast and not allowed to act and do what normal hens do:(

9. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sounds to me like Rocky thinks he is a roo. Can you put this bird in a cage where Rocky can't get to him, or even see him. Better yet, can you separate Rocky from the group for a few days? If he is a roo he will start crowing in a day or two if Rocky is not around.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Pullet. I'd rehome the rooster picking on her as he may decide to pick on another once you get rid of this pullet. Roosters can be weird that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by