Urgent! Is this chick a lost cause?

volchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 20, 2010
Last night mama had 2 eggs left under her out of six. Before bed I checked on her and she had picked almost half the shell off one egg. The membrane was all there with a few bloody pricks in it. I could see the chick breathing and I could hear little chirps. Now there is even more shell pricked off, there is quite a bit off red tinge at the bottom pointy end and some yellow (yolk?) poking out. Baby is still breathing and chirping. Is it a lost cause? This is my first time at this so I don't know if there is anything I can do...

hey check out my post about this under hatching and incubating,if you need help or advice let me know

Thanks amy... I read your post. I don't have an incubator (besides mama) so do you think I could put it back under mama after picking away a bit of membrane? Also with the last two that hatched mam seemed eager to get them out (or maybe paranoid that something was wrong) because when the little beaks started to poke through she started to chip at them. She seemed pretty rough with them... this is her first hatch, too. I have a humidifier going in there right now so can I hold the egg near it while it's away from mama?

Dont let the b loody membrane scare you,if the chick isnt stabbed its not blood from inside of the chick.It looks bad but its not badit dries off

well i'm holding baby chickie now. i have it wrpped in a washcloth breathing hot air on it. when i tried to put it back under mama she stepped all over it. i took it back out be cause i was afraid she'd kill it. i read the chick in th oven post but my oven only goes down to 170... do you think the crock set on warm would still be too hot?

My 2 little turkey chicks are now 24 and 48 hours old, but I had helped them to hatch because my 3 year old could hear them peeping through the small hole they pecked in the shell. But they were not strong enough to hatch on there own( they stayed like that for 12 hours). This is 4 and 5 days after the hen hatched out the others. I have them under a heat lamp, and they are really perky, but still can't walk yet. They are healthy other than the walking part, and we are just holding them on there feet every few hours and they are getting stronger. I don't know if they will survive, but I had to try something. Hope this sorta helps a little. There is always a little hope.

i'm going to go put it in a shoe box with a lamp over it for now... i tried to put it on top of the humidifier but that was too hot. i don't have a heat lamp but i don't know what else to do. i have a lamp with a bendy arm that i can bend real low over it...

Back
Top Bottom