URGENT KITTEN SITUATION - New Jersey, Eastern PA BYCers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jjthink, Sep 26, 2010.

1. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Regarding formerly homeless mom kitty and her kittens.

I do a goodly amount of critter rescue and currently a friend and I are trying to find homes for gorgeous 16 week old kittens. My friend has been the lead on this one, big time, superbly fostering they and their mom (she may be able to keep mom) but can only do so for one more week (through October 3) as she then has to leave the area for some time to care for her own mom (and unfortunately, my hands are full right now). Mama cat and 1 of the kittens (the boy) have really warmed up; the 2 little sisters are coming along more slowly, though they all have a grand time playing with one another and are extremely cute and major league fun to watch. Mama and kittens have an amazing ability to stand on their hind legs for extended periods of time (picture meerkats!).

All are very healthy. Mom is now spayed and babes were spayed/neutered today. Mom is very young herself - she may be well under a year old. She plays like a kitten and is FELV and FIV negative, happily. They are all receiving the best care and best food so they are getting a really great and loving start in life. There couldn't be a better foster mom than my friend who has been caring for them.

All shelters and rescues we have called say there is 'no room at the inn' and that they cannot help. It would be very sad to see them in cages in any case, possibly losing the socialization they have gained thus far :^(. I'm turning to the good souls at BYC because we have exhausted other possibilities at this point - all the folks in my usual networks are absolutely inundated.

The most critical need is to find a home for the 2 girls - either with a great person who understands it takes time to win a kitten's heart and trust (the girls are coming along beautifully - they just need more time) and/or a barn situation where food and water and shelter are guaranteed for life. Looking for forever homes..(as some of you know, cats introduced into an outdoor 'barn' situation require captivity for a few weeks in a cage first so they imprint on the new location - otherwise they will try to get 'home' and will not make it, and then will be lost [​IMG]).

Cats are currently located in Mercer County, New Jersey.

If the timing could be right for you or any truly stellar souls you know, please put them in touch with this information right away. We're really out of time. On the other hand, if it was just a matter of another week or two then we'll get them cared for somehow till my friend returns to NJ the second week of October but ideally the prospective adopters would at least meet the kittens and exchange information by next weekend (October 2, 3) so we know a solution is forthcoming.

Thanks.

JJ

Here's a few photos...I have more [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Found more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

p.s. They have all 'graduated' out of the cage to a foster room...

JJ

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  3. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Hey all - The kitties were also vaccinated against rabies yesterday.

Sadly, the little gray stripey with white belly on the left in the first photo died yesterday during surgery - we are so terribly terribly sad. [​IMG] She had been the picture of vibrant health and we don't know what went wrong.

Remaining are 2 sisters (white with gray including an amazing gray heart on her right shoulder, and the gray/orangy/white kitty in the 4th photo) as well as the little fellow who is orangy and white, all recovering quickly from surgery, as did their mom.

JJ

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So sorry one died. That's sad.

If I was closer I'd take one or two.

Imp-Like I need any more cats. [​IMG] I have discovered chicken math works on cats too.

5. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Hello from another rescue person! I'm in NC and I'm pretty sure our group has 'no room at the inn' either. I've just found a home for my last foundling and am currently in the process of being won over by a local stray kitten who has been turning on the charm in trade for kibble. I guess she will be tested and spayed soon and will be my 'barn' kitty. I already have 2 others who are mostly indoors.
    I hope you can find some help with these little ones. [​IMG]
    They are so cute!
    The striped one could have had an underlying heart defect, you just never know. One of our volunteers just lost a 2 year old foster cat suddenly (in his sleep, thankfully) and the vet said it was cardiomyopathy and a blood clot that did him in.

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I wish I lived closer - I love that gray and orange girl! I could use a good mouser!

7. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Tried to send a PM but your inbox is full. Let me know if you still need a home, I may have one.

Thanks!

8. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank you imp/Russ, cat/Karen, pbj and Jill, very much, for your notes.

imp, I do believe chicken math and cat math are indeed similar. [​IMG]
    cat, thank you for what you do [​IMG]
    pbj, she is quite the cutie pie [​IMG]

equine/Jill, so sorry about the inbox. Seems no matter how many I delete the inbox still reads as full. You can also reach me at [email protected], where I can also provide other contact info..... Thank you.
    JJ

9. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I will be outside Richmond VA next weekend, if there is any chance of you getting them there I will take them. I am not a rescue per se, but I have 32 acres they could be very happy in. Fixed and rabies, I would take all of them you need me to. PM me if its possible to get them to VA.

10. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hi Country/Barb - That is very kind of you. I don't think that distance will be possible but I do appreciate it.

For anyone contemplating the outdoor/barn life for kitties, a little more info about this:

It can be a challenging first few weeks for the new guardians as the kitties have to remain caged (and fed in the cage and litter boxes changed in the cage) in order for them to imprint on the new location. In a secure set up so they can't possibly escape early, because if that happens they almost always get lost and then have to fend totally for themselves. A lot of rescue organizations recommend at least 4 weeks of caged imprinting. And then food/water from thereafter provided in that same spot so they know where to find it. I have done this when helping former ferals get used to a new home and it's a project (the kitties hate being caged) but a gratifying one once they are finally uncaged and happy in their new environment.

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by