Urgent: Lethargic road island comb turning black

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zephis, Jan 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Zephis

Zephis Hatching

Jan 15, 2019
    I'm new to this forum so bear with me but I need some expertise as I'm new to raising chickens. I have a beautiful road island red that's 9 months old. I noticed this morning while I started my daily routine tr hat this hen was very lethargic and was trembling slightly. There is no sign of injury although her come is starting to turn black. I noticed that she has very watery diarrhea which smells very bad and her craw is very large and tight more so than the others. Shes is not eating or drinking at the moment and is separate from the other 28 chickens. My chickens are kept very clean because I'm a neat freak and there straw bedding is changed every 3 days. They have constant access to fresh food and pellets. I started adding some vitamins to the water as recommended 2 weeks ago to give them a little extra perk as the weather is getting colder. Can anyone offer any advise?

2. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Zephis and welcome :frow
    Sorry to hear you are joining under such circumstances. I am no expert I'm afraid but there are amazing people here whom I am sure will be able to offer a lot more than I can.
    Comb turning black normally means there is a lack of oxygen which, although narrowing it down somewhat, does not tell you what is actually wrong.
    When you say craw, are you speaking about her crop?
    I would bring her inside somewhere warm if you have not already and hopefully someone here will be able to help you out soon.

Photos will often help people here see what you are dealing with, of both the chicken and her poop.

I would wonder if her crop has been impacted/slow/sour for a while therefore stopping up her system but as I said, others will have more insight. I hope you get the help you need. Best wishes.

3. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Just been reading up on combs turning black/purple accompanied by lethargy.
    Lack of oxygen as already mentioned, but this can be caused by respiratory problems (how is her breathing? Any bubbles in her eyes?), poor circulation, and also if your chicken has something caught in her throat. Have a look down her mouth and see if anything seems off?

If she were my chicken, I would check the above and try get some poultry vitamins into her, perhaps a direct dose in case she has not been getting any. Try offering her some cooked egg also. Most important is to get her to drink.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @[email protected] sorry to call but can anyone help here?

4. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
  5. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Photo definitely would help. And yes bring her inside.
    Does her breath smell bad?
    A purple/black comb could be a sign of cardio problems.
    Have you checked her vent?
    At nine months of age has she ever laid a egg?
    We’ll have to go through a process of elimination to try and pinpoint her problem.

6. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Ducksandchickens likes this.
  7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Wish it were better circumstances. :hmm

Crop blockage or egg binding would be the first things I would check. :fl

Where is she staying? Standing or sitting. Pics are often helpful.

8. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thank you @EggSighted4Life :bow

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Great questions and posts @Cragg Klefor @[email protected] and @EggSighted4Life
    I agree very much, the comb turning black, to me would indicate lack of oxygen.
    As to the cause, that can be a bit more complicated.

The mention of the crop being large and tight - I would think crop issues.
    Is this girl laying eggs yet? When was her last egg?

Photos of the pullet and her poop may be helpful.
    I would bring her in, place her in a quiet warm place. Check the crop -does the breath smell bad too?
    Feel the abdomen - any bloat, swelling. At her age she should be laying or coming into lay - gently insert a lubricated finger 1-2" inside her vent - feel for an egg.

Since she is very lethargic, I would not soak her. You can place her on a heating pad turned on low or in a steamed up bathroom.
    Don't force fluids into her.

10. Zephis

Zephis Hatching

Jan 15, 2019
    Yes she has been laying fine for months the only thing that's noticable is that her comb is turning black and is cool to the touch and the diarrhea is very stinky I'm thinking maybe an intestinal issue but she not blocked up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: