Urgent! Liver disease!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickadeeRanch, Sep 16, 2012.

1. ChickadeeRanch

ChickadeeRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    My Rhode Island Red rooster of 3 years has fallen ill! He has all the symptoms for liver disease! His comb went a bit purple around the edges, he has are hard time having bowel movements, he has low energy - he does not even cock a doodle doo much any more and just like it said in the article I read he just started showing symptoms just a couple weeks ago! plus he as overgrown claws/nails which is also a symptom! Also he has breathing problems which is the result of a swollen liver!
    It says it's because he has eaten too much!
    They said the cure was epson salts or wheat bran with buttermilk. Does anybody know any other cures?[​IMG] I'm really worried![​IMG] And I've been searching all over the internet[​IMG] but it keeps talking about eating chicken livers![​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Those symptoms could be indicative of many illnesses. You may want to take him to a vet.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    About a year ago, I had a hen with hepatitis from having MS. Yellow urates, anorexia and pale comb were the number one symptoms I used Sulfadimethoxine on her. I ran it for 9 days, or until she responded to treatment. I had to retreat her a month or so later to completely clear her up, but she is doing fine now.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If he has hepatitis and it got cleared up with sulfadimethoxine, I've learned something new. But I know nothing about it. If it worked on a hen a year ago, wouldn't it work on this one?

5. ChickadeeRanch

Sep 13, 2012
    Hepatitis? Where would he get MS?

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    MS and MG are prevalent in flocks in the US. MG more than MS, but both are bad news.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sounds nasty.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sulmet is sometimes used to treat respitory infections.....which if I remember right has that in it.
    Chickadee ranch when was your roo last wormed and what with. I would give him some mineral oil or veggie oil in his food to help him soften his poo and be easier to pass. You said breathing trouble...can you tell us what he does?

9. ChickadeeRanch

Sep 13, 2012
    Laboured breathing yeah - it seems painful especially when you pick him up
    In they past we have given the flock olive oil with bread because they got a hold of some styrofoam
    Now he is on atibiotics but Im still his pooping troubles

10. ChickadeeRanch

Sep 13, 2012
    Hey BTW everyone that is him in my profile pic - probably only 1 or 2 weeks old there! Now he is 3!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by