URGENT!!! My 11 week old peachick ate a paper clip!

CrazyBirdLady7

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
I have a very domesticated 11 month old pet peachick and she snatched something off of my desk. It was either a small paper clip or small rubber band. I just saw something yellow hanging out of her mouth, and by the time I snatched her up and pried her beak open, she had already swallowed it. No choking, no strange behavior. She's eating, drinking, pooping and playing like normal and it's been about 8 hours since she swallowed it. I'm worried sick! Is this an emergency type thing or am I being over protective? I'm very attached to this little bird and don't want anything bad to happen to her. Should I worry? Will she pass it? Will it cause any damage to her digestive tract or cause her any pain? Any advice is appreciated!

Most likely the rubber band, she will be fine
hugs.gif
it will pass, just remember when you see it come out the other end it is not a worm
lau.gif

please post photos of your pretties in our "show off your peas section if you can, we share lots of photos there and everyone keeps it going that way.

Thank you so much for responding! I've been worried sick all night! If it's the rubber band, how long before she will pass it? I've checked all of her stools since the incident and haven't seen anything. Should I worry if it was the paper clip she swallowed? I just can't remember exactly what was sitting on my desk but know it was yellow. Likely the rubber band as she was able to pick it up with her beak rather quickly and without dropping it first. Her BM's were normal yesterday but today much smaller than normal. Should I worry about a blockage? And I will most certainly post photos of little miss Paisley as she is very photogenic! The camera loves her :)

Thank you so much for responding! I've been worried sick all night! If it's the rubber band, how long before she will pass it? I've checked all of her stools since the incident and haven't seen anything. Should I worry if it was the paper clip she swallowed? I just can't remember exactly what was sitting on my desk but know it was yellow. Likely the rubber band as she was able to pick it up with her beak rather quickly and without dropping it first. Her BM's were normal yesterday but today much smaller than normal. Should I worry about a blockage? And I will most certainly post photos of little miss Paisley as she is very photogenic! The camera loves her :)

Na don't worry the gizzard may break it down to bits or even nothing, I have seen all kinds of strange bits in the gizards of culled birds even glass.
Ps I didn't mean she will break down a paper clip, it must be coated so I don't think it will harm her if she did get it, you should see some of the stuff my DH leaves laying around when I ain't looking , got to bird dog that man sometimes.

Last edited:
At times we see a problem called "hardware disease " . and it can kill a bird
sad.png
depending on what the circumstances are. At one of the UPA conventions a member had a nail and it had worked through the gizzard and the bird slowly died and when the necropsy was done they found it. I would give It some granite grit or at least be sure it has plenty of gravel to help grind it up.. George

Yes, I think it can .. thinks like a piece of welding slag, small nut and washers, B B ,s and lots of things shinny but not large.. I think a paperclip might be OK? , I don't know much of anything that will go through the gizzard like things go through a persons system. George

get some mineral oil in that bird , can't hurt .

Have you ever had mineral oil? every time one of us kids got to feeling bad my Mom would give us caster oil and cod liver oil, we got better real fast case our butts hurt from pooping for days.
barnie.gif
bad thing is it messes up the gut flora that we need to keep the intestines healthy so I would not do this if it were mine

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom