URGENT!!! My chicken is ill WHY????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HarrysHut, Nov 2, 2013.

1. HarrysHut

HarrysHut Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    HELP !! What's wrong with my chicken
    HELP !! What's wrong with my chicken
    in 12 minutes
    HarrysHut
    Yesterday when I opened up my chicken coop they all came out fine apart from beady who had her wings drooping by her sides and she fell off the ramp and couldn't get up she was waddling so we brought her inside as she was just sitting there unlike usual when she is with the rest of the flock
    She was eating and drinking fine but today we found her sitting in her faeces which were a light brown colour so once again we brought her inside as she wouldn't move from her nest box
    She currently isn't eating it drinking and seems to be gasping for air and slightly lethargic she is a beloved member of the family and we don't want to loose her[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She might be eggbound. Put her in a container of warm water up to her sides, massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. The warm water will relax and expand her innards, massaging will help move the egg along. Hopefully she'll lay the egg. Repeat as necessary. Also, visually inspect her for lice/mites, especially around the vent area.

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    could you give some more details? Wings drooping, she can't use them? She might have Marek's or another neuro disease Does she have any diischarge, runny eyes, sneezing, coughing. If she doesn't, please see the thread on here about Hypericum. It's a place you could start. Just search Hypericum/ St John's Wart. Also, how old is she?

4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Also, separate her from the others. If you have a cage you could put her in, where she's got some privacy, but she can still hear them, that is best.

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Dawg 53 might be right too but what made me think of the Marek's was her light brown faeces and she was sitting in them, our hen who had Marek's (or something like that) did the same..hers were the same color and she was lying in them. We treated her with Hypericum and it cured her. So far, anyway.

6. HarrysHut

HarrysHut Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks for all the advice but sadly Beady passed away this afternoon she will be missed xxx

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for your loss! She looks like she was a very pretty, well-loved bird.

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So sorry to hear that Beady didn't make it.... thinking of you.
    [​IMG]

9. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    So sorry, that is too bad. Watch the others closely for a while, to make sure they are healthy...she might have had something contagious or even eaten or drunk something bad that they could all get into....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by