Urgent: Need advice about using sand in coop!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nutcase, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I have been browsing the Learning Center articles and have read the one about using sand in the coop. I have a few questions so please hear me out and give me your advice if possible:

1 - What is the estimated cost of river sand in Australia?
    2 - If I was to add a sand floor to my coop, would I first have to shovel out the dirt floor? (I have a relatively small coop with a floor of densely-packed earth which has an annoying tendency to retain moisture. As a result my chickens are standing in a lot of mud during the rainy seasons and their feet become filthy.)

Can you help me?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    1 - What is the estimated cost of river sand in Australia?

Don't have a clue what it costs here, let alone there. That would also depend in if you buy a small bag at some specialty store, get a truckload delivered, or haul it yourself. You're going to have to check around. Maybe chat with people at the feed store, a hardware store, or look for local advertisements. That's purely a local thing.

2 - If I was to add a sand floor to my coop, would I first have to shovel out the dirt floor? (I have a relatively small coop with a floor of densely-packed earth which has an annoying tendency to retain moisture. As a result my chickens are standing in a lot of mud during the rainy seasons and their feet become filthy.)

I strongly suggest do not shovel it out. I added a few inches of clay dirt to mine to help keep it above the surrounding area and put a swale on the uphill side outside of the coop to help keep water from running in when it stormed. But I had an easy free source of clay dirt. Then I just put shavings on top of that. I can now keep water out of the coop. If anything add more clay, then put sand on top of that.

Look at where the water is coming in and try ot fix that. That would be my first priority.

You might look at this article. It's about muddy runs but you may pick up something from it that will help you.

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

Good luck! These things can sometimes be challenging.

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I dont know the cost.
    I think if it were me, I would want to till up or break up the soil somehow so that the soil will drain. Sand works great and its easy to keep up and clean. After you put it down it doesnt cost much for upkeep. Good luck I hope this helped

4. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    it all depends on how large is the coop. No idea about Australia, but i have a a 7X7 coop in US, and it cost me less then 20$ to put in a 3/4 inch deep sandy floor. I did have concrete underneath but i would suspect if dirt you would need to shovel it out a bit.

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Again no idea on the price. It is definitely cheaper by the truck load or a partial load. It is crazy expensive to do it in bags.

6. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    A couple of other things:

How often would I have to replace the sand?
    And won't chickens raised on dirt floors scratch it up and make a mess?

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    They will make less of a mess on sand than on bare dirt. I would shoot for maybe 3 inches or about 60mm of sand. It will also provide some exercise if you toss a little grain or scratch feed on top of the sand so your chickens can hunt for it. Chickens can or will scatter the sand, so keep your water cups or fountains where the sand won't get in. If your coop is tall, sand will cushion the chickens feet and joints when they fly from roost to floor.

8. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    You shouldnt have to replace it. Just sift out the poo ever so often or rake it.
    Any floor they are on they will scratch it everywhere. It is instinct to do so.

9. FoggyMountain

FoggyMountain Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Stuarts Draft, VA
    Glad to see this thread as I am seriously considering sand for my new coops!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by