***** URGENT***** Need advice NOW!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by woman_in_shoe, Jun 29, 2010.

1. woman_in_shoe

woman_in_shoe Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    This is our first attempt at hatching eggs. One of the chicks had a very hard time hatching and needed my help. The membrane had started to harden and so I sprayed it a number of times with water and very gently loosened the membrane with a tooth pick. I did this over a three hour stretch and then left it alone to continue hatching. Over the course of the day it has been getting stronger, eating and drinking, but still is all crusty and dirty. I just picked it up and saw that its bum is all coated with harded poop. Is there anything I can do to loosen it and clean it off or should I leave it alone? Any other suggestions?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    For the crusted poop. Get a warm, wet washcloth and gently moisten the poopy area until you can work it off. You can use a toothpick to help loosen it. Do NOT pull.

For the gummy body, don't worry about it. In a few days the chick will clean it off itself. Some people give them baths and dry them, but I think it risks the chick getting cold. So, I left it the last time I had that happen and the chick took care of it. 3 days later, you couldn't even tell which one it was.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
  3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I would clean it off. What I do when one of my chicks has had this problem is just to hold thier rump under the faucet with warm water and maybe a little bit of soap on the rump to help wash it off, but don't pull it off.

4. MCCmomof3

MCCmomof3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    WA
    The crusty poop on the bottom is known as 'pasting up' you can search for threads on here about it. I know it can be very serious for the chick. I haven't had to deal with it, but I am sure someone on this forum has exceptional advice on how to deal with it.

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    For the poop, I hold it's rump under running warm water and work it off with a wash cloth. For the crusty body. I use a dry wash cloth and rub the chick from tail to head to rub it off. It fluffs them up very nicely and they don't get all wet. I would clean it's bottom and let it dry then fluff it up when it's gotten stronger. I fluff up all mine. When they dry they get fluffed and put in the brooder. I've never had a chick that fluffed up when it dried and I've tried different humidity. I've never had a problem with doing the fluffing other than making the chick mad. Most of them will sit still and enjoy it. I don't do their underside or around the navel but I do the rest for heat to tail. Under wings too.

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    After you get the butt cleaned and dried I would suggest wiping a bit of olive oil to it so that future poo doesn't stick to it.

7. LadyBeartoothMamma

LadyBeartoothMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Absarokee Montana
    Right on i like that idea of using olive oil one of my EE's has been having pasty butt and its starting to get frustrating Im gonna try that idea
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Sequin

8. woman_in_shoe

woman_in_shoe Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    I will def try this once it is doing better, which it already is, but I will give it another day or two for it to be even stronger. I also like the idea of using the olive oil on its butt to keep more from sticking. Mind you now that it is getting stronger and more active it is able to poop while standing and there does not seem to be anymore pasting up.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by