1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT-need advice possible sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickymama32, Aug 26, 2014.

1. chickymama32

chickymama32 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2014
    sandy oregon
    About a week ago I lost my 11 week old Brahma suddenly. She had runny poo, lethargic and would stand at the back door all poofed up. When she died she threw up then died. Fast forward a week. My now 17/18 week ameracauna has runny poo, acting lethargic and she is puffing up and passing sleeping standing. I quarantined her and this is her poo. It has looked liked this for the last 3 days and im pretty sure the other 2 hens in the flock are the same. They are eating and not lethargic. Does the poo look normal?? DO any of these symptoms ring a bell with something? Suggestions of where to start? I tried to give her yogurt with meal worms and it was a no go.. The other 2 gobbled it. I have noticed in each of their spots under the roost the pine shavings are really wet where that has never been like that before. Ever.

2. chickymama32

Apr 19, 2014
    sandy oregon
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would treat them all for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium) for 5-7 days. You will find it in the cattle section in liquid or powder. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, as the only source of water. You can also wet the feed with it if they are eating well. Sorry for your loss.

4. chickymama32

Apr 19, 2014
    sandy oregon
    Once they are on Corid should I be tossing the eggs? If so for how long. What if I cant get the lethargic chicken to drink? Should I get a dropper? Im just a tad freaked out right now. Once my brahma was like this she was dead in 12 hrs.

5. chickymama32

Apr 19, 2014
    sandy oregon
    So hey are on corid. We are at day 4. The hen show in sickness is back to herself but she still has a bit of foamy yellow poop. My 2 layers have huge funnier poops with a large amount of cream urates. There's seems to be solidifying faster. Is it normal to still see yellow runny poo? When do you start to see a real difference?

6. chickymama32

Apr 19, 2014
    sandy oregon
    Huge runnier poops**

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by