URGENT - NEED ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stewarts, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Lockdown tomorrow - I have been testing my bator all day to get 61 humidity and 99 temperature. EXACTLY what number does the humidity have to be for lockdown? Can the humidity range?

Need immediate answer, please!!!

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    The humidity does NOT have to be exact. The best humidity for me is around 65%, but not under 55% or above 75%. Sounds like you are doing great!

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    mine is the same!

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

there is no exact number. 60-70% works, Make sure you have the plugs out too.

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Yes the humidity can range some as long as you keep above 55% or so you'll be fine .As soon as the first chick hatches the humidity will go up anyway. The main thing is to keep the humidity up high enough that the membrane doesn't dry out while the chicks are hatching. I'm in w Kentucky and where I'm at as long as I am 50% or higher I don't worry about it.I just had a 95% hatch rate last weekend and was at about 55% when I got my first pip and didn't even look at it after that. You want a higher rate for lock down but if it goes up and down a little that's ok.
    Dan

6. Stewarts

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Thank you all for your wonderful and informative answers. I will let you know how it goes.

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

you can find a lot more information searching threads,

the article hatching 101 linked in my signature is a must read

8. Stewarts

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Hatching 101 is one I've read several times already and had my hubby read also. It does have excellent and practical information. I will read the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by