Urgent need help!!!! Now!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by debsman, Apr 3, 2018.

1. debsman

debsman Chirping

Apr 9, 2016
    Waco ky
    Its day 23 almost all eggs have hatched. No pips on last 2 remaing. Candled one the air sac is taking over the egg. I see vigorous movement but not sure if it is being shrinkwrapped or not im afraid if i dont help it won't hatch and if i do help im afraid it will die. HELP PLEASE

2. Oh my gosh that's weird, I'm commenting to bump your thread up so someone experienced sees it! I hope it all goes well!!

townchicks and debsman like this.
  3. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    How many have hatched? Were they on time (day 21) ?

4. debsman

debsman Chirping

Apr 9, 2016
    Waco ky
    Started on day 21 been going ever since. So far 12 out of 14 have hatched. The last one about 20 minutes ago.

5. Plumfig

Plumfig In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    This is so hard to know. We tried to help one at “25” days, turned out that for some reason it had started much later than the others (they were all put under a neighbor’s broody turkey, I think the one was too cold at the edge, then they were all moved to an incubator a week later when the turkey went off, and I think that one didn’t “start” properly until moved to the incubator.)

Anyway, my daughter was worried it was stuck and tried to help it hatch and it started bleeding. Turned out it hadn’t finished absorbing the yolk, anyway it died. We’re still rather heart broken when we think about it.

Is it possible the last two started later?

6. debsman

debsman Chirping

Apr 9, 2016
    Waco ky
    I guess it is possible. My concern is the huge air sac. It is elongated downward and is now taking up nearly half of the egg

7. Granny Hatchet

Granny Hatchet Tastes like chicken

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    only thing I would suggest is to make a safty hole in the top of the air sac so you know it can breath. Use a sterile stick pin. Remember they have time where they dont need to eat or drink for a couple days after hatch so all you need to do right now is make sure it can get air if it runs out. That will give you time til an educator can come along and help . Good luck to you.

loot4louie and Pensmaster like this.
  8. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    I would give them more time. Just before they pip internally the air cell normally will draw down on one side making it look like its taking over. I was shocked the first time i saw that too. Listen for chirping tomorrow. If they havent piiped internally by then, then they are likely malpositioned and not able to get out on their own.

9. Plumfig

Plumfig In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    naturalchikenkeeping.blogspot.com has some info about shrink wrapped chicks. Can you tell if it’s pipped internally?

10. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: