1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT NEED HELP WITH UNABSORBED YOLK SACK

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken111324, Oct 17, 2015.

1. chicken111324

chicken111324 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2015
    ***Urgent***

My second chick has an unabsorbed yolk sack. It isnt walking at all and it is about 5 hours old i am really worried about it and dont want it to die. What can i do to help it????

Please answer me because i have never had this before and dont know what to do!!!!!

2. Guyswithchicks

Guyswithchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    There is only one thing to do. Keep it warm and quiet in the incubator with no other chicks. Place it on a soft towel and try and restrict it being able to move around to much.
    I have had this happen two or three times. I recall one chick absorbing g it out of the egg but the other two became weak and eventually I had to euthanize them.
    All the best.

3. chicken111324

Jun 23, 2015
    Thankyou, it is currently in a box with a heat lamp and on a towel as my incubator has eggs in it (it was hatched by a broody hen). It hasnt really moved at all.

Do i need to give it food or water?
    Also is there any vitamins or minerals etc. that i could give it to help?
    will oxymav b (a broad spectrum antibiotic) do anything to help?

4. Guyswithchicks

Sep 28, 2015
    Ahh so it hatched under a broody. It does happen. You are doing everything that you can. Normally a chick will not require food for around 24 hours after hatching so it is OK for now.
    Keep it warm and quiet and just keep an eye on things. Nature will take its course. The fact that it is not moving and currently sleeping is often due to it being premature.
    Right now you are doing all that you can.

5. chicken111324

Jun 23, 2015
    Also it hatched on day 25 (today) do you think that this is the reason

6. Guyswithchicks

Sep 28, 2015
    Wow day 25..yes something is not right especially since it was under a broody hen. Is the hen on any other eggs? Are there any other chicks? Is there any chance that the eggs could have been added to the nest at differing times?
    A delayed hatch like that is down to a low average incubation temperature.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  7. Guyswithchicks

Sep 28, 2015
    Oh and a bacterial infection of some sort can also cause some chicks to do what you are seeing. Not common but it can happen.

8. chicken111324

Jun 23, 2015
    The hen was on 12 eggs 10 of which were not fertile (i havent been having good fertility rates due to a young rooster) 1 of the 2 eggs hatched on day 23 and is healthy and alert. No eggs could have been added later as she was seperated from any other hens.

9. chicken111324

Jun 23, 2015

Is it possible for a chick to survive if it does have a bacterial infection
    Also thankyou so much for your help

10. Guyswithchicks

Sep 28, 2015
    Survivability is not great but it is only an idea. It may not have an infection and it may just be one of the weird things that happen.
    Happy to help and I hope your chick pulls through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by