URGENT!! Need tips to raise Humidity FAST!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MakNat, Jan 9, 2010.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Really!! I added 2 half cup jars of water and 2 soaked paper towels. Still reading WAY low. Soon it will be day 22 [​IMG]

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Instead of the half cup jars, try putting something wider...the more surface area...the higher the humidity will rise....Also, are you adding hot or cold water?

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Warm wet sponges, warm mist from a spray bottle, as stated above....flat, open container of water to increase water-to-air contact.

Ed

4. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    warm to hot.. I don't really have anything else that will fit in there its styrofoam LG no turner... more papertowels maybe?? Thanks!

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    The paper towels are probably going to dry out too fast. Put a couple of wet sponges in. The problem is when you take the lid off you are going to lose the humidity already built up so do it fast, get the lid back down and leave it CLOSED. It will take time to see the increase on your hygrometer. With your temp being the low the whole time your hatch is going to be late. With a still air incubator, you need to incubate at 101 degrees and you've been at 97 degrees. Some of these eggs may still be salvageable. I know it is hard but give them time.

6. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Ok Thank you SOO much. I'm panicking I think!! One more thing, should the red plugs be in or out? The vent plugs??

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Leaving them in would help raise the humidity, but once the chicks start hatching you might want to remove one (or two) as humidity will increase and the chicks need the extra air...well, to be honest they need the extra air before they hatch but with your low humidity issue I'd keep'em in until hatching starts happening.

Ed

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Wet tshirts and rollup - tie with rubber bands...Warm quickly in microwave ....but not too hot, just warm to tough....This really helps!

Happy hatching

9. silkieflock

silkieflock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    water surface area + fan + heat = humidity

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  10. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    Make sure your hygrometer is in the incubator I had that issue to, I thought the probe was for both temp and humidity not the case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by