URGENT- New Chicken owner and Hen Injured in Attack

TeresaT

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
SW Virginia
I just obtained 7 hens one week ago, they are still young, not yet producing eggs. Last night two of them were attacked by something. One hen was killed and the other wounded very badly. I just found them this morning. I don't know how much time has passed.

Part of her skin on top of her head is pulled off. And, a section of her neck feathers and skin has been pulled off. It is a very large section of her neck, about 4 inches of her neck and about two inches wide of it. It looks like the skin was taken with the feathers and all that is left is red colored muscle. It barely looks like there is a sheath of very thin material over the muscles and veins.

Please help, how do I care for her. I have separated her from the other hens and put her in a large cat carrier with just newspapers and have taken her inside away from the bugs. I put food and water in there with her. What should I do next?

Rinse her woulds well with saline or betadne solution. You can coat it with blu kote (horse section of the feed supply story) or neosporin. Nothing else but to keep it clean and hope infection doesn't set in. Some people would start a broad spectrum antibiotic but I don't use medicines unless there is a need for it.

Keep her inside in a dim place, quiet, away from other animals, with food and water, giving her high protein treats to help with regrowth of her skin and feathers. Keep her quiet and check her often. This time of year is a danger for fly strike and maggots.

I can't be of much help, but if there is no skin left, she may not make it. IF there is a flap that can cover the wound, then I would cover it as much as you can, and then wrap with a guaze and a little antibiotic cream. If you can bring her into the house you would be best to do it. If you feel it's better to put her down, see if there is a Vet that will do that for you if you can't. I'm so sorry for this.

Keep us posted, again so sorry.

It's amazing what they CAN survive from - you've already gotten good advice here, probably the most important thing for her chances of survival you have already done - separating her and bringing her inside away from the insects and flies.

One more suggestion would to be to give a broad spectrum antibiotic like TYLAN - you can buy that at most feed stores/TSC (do a search here and you'll get the info on dosing)

Animal bites tend to get badly infected...

While she's on the antibiotic, be sure to give her some plain yogurt (with active cultures) to help keep her tummy from being upset.

Is there enough skin left to pull together over the wound? If so, you could try stitching her up - again if you do a search there are some pic threads that show this done.

Sending healing vibes your way....

it would be a good idea to put electrolytes in her water for shock...
Do not use the blukote... not only will it dry it out but this is not a sutiable coating for this type of wound (red-cote would be but an even better wound coating for this type of wound is
GRANULEX V
GRANULEX
00ae.png
V is a topical treatment that assists natural healing by removing dead tissue and stimulating growth of epithelial tissue.

Aids treatment of external wounds, including wire cuts, lacerations, and rope burns
Assists healing by facilitating the removal of necrotic tissue, exudate and organic debris

Contains trypsin, an enzyme that aids in debridement
Non-irritating and non-toxic

Available in 4-ounce cans and 1-ounce dropper bottles >>>you might think about this in regards to the head wound and you must ensure it does not get in the nostrils or eyes... it is often to be found in the pet section or in the horse section of ag suppliers... or you can purchase it online ... here is one supplier:
http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/granulex.htm

You can make your own sterile saline solution to daily clean the wound by boiling 1/4 tsp of salt in a quart of water for five minutes (make fresh daily)

I am at work right now but plan on leaving soon to tend to her. She is in the carrier right now, inside by herself on some newspaper. I will stop at TSC on the way home to pick up the supplies.

From what I could see, there really was not any skin left to pull together or flap over it. Will that Granulex V still be usable in that case?

So, right now I plan to do all that everyone has said, except I don't think I can put the antibiotic cream on since there is no skin there. She is already on some antibiotic that I have been putting in her water since one of the hens was coughing a little and sounded raspy when I got them.

I will take all advice and use it.

Ok. Last night we reinforced the coop to keep the others safe.

I already had her on Terramycin in the oral form since one of the hens had a cough when we got them. She just went on it this past weekend. So, I am continuing to give her that, gave her some aspirin in her water and some electrolytes as well. I put all this in the same water dish, is that ok? Is Terramycin a good enough antibiotic for her to take?

I rinshed her head and neck wound with sterile saline solution and the only thing TSC had was this EMT Gel. I put that on both wounds. Her neck was already kind of dry and her feathers were sticking to her neck. So we kept rinsing her neck until the feathers came loose and we trimmed them. Should I put a dressing over her neck and head or just leave that gel on there by itself so nothing sticks?

She is eating her crumble feed and scratch I mixed together. She ate quite a bit. Do I need to do anything else?

The EMT gel is excellent stuff. I would continue to use that. It sounds like you are doing a great job. As long as she is continuing to eat and drink you are right where you want to be. I wouldn't wrap it...just clean it everyday and put fresh EMT gel on it. As long as she is doing well, I would continue her on the Terramycin. Keep us posted...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom