Urgent! Newborn chick stepped on by Mama, punctured stomach

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CreativeCowgirl, Aug 13, 2013.

1. CreativeCowgirl

CreativeCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    One of my baby chicks that was hatching today got accidentally stepped on by mama and her claw punctured baby's stomach. There was a little bit of blood and a lot of yolk. All of it is dried up now though and she is not bleeding anymore. However, a small bit of intestine is poking out, along with a yellow sac covered in blood vessels which I'm guessing is what's left of her yolk. I don't know what to do, but after a bit of brainstorming, my best idea was to gently push the intestine and yolk back into her belly and seal it with New Skin liquid bandage. Does this sound like a good idea? Would it work? The chick still seems strong, she's opening her eyes a bit and cheeping every now and then, and struggles when I move her at all.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Getting the intestine back in would seem the smartest move, especially before it dries and begins to die off. But you'd need to be sure it's her intestine not her equivalent of an umbilical cord. Best wishes.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by