URGENT Newborn is it deformed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stormie, Mar 18, 2009.

1. stormie

stormie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    MO
    Here's a fuzzy picture:

[​IMG]

It hobbles and hasn't uncurled it yet. Is this normal since it only just hatched? The ducking only hatched about five hours ago. Please tell me it isn't deformed. If it is what can I do?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

It really should be left in the bator for at least 12hr,to dry off. I would give it a day or so then see.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It can take them a full day to get their act together. I would make sure it is in a warm brooder and let it rest and sleep and not worry about it until Day 2 is well in progress. It can take geese and ducks 2 or 3 days to get their webbed feet flat and moving in properly.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    What both posters have told you. Leaving it in the bator gives it a chance to get its sea legs underneath it, rest and fluff out. They are not active, active for a day or so just like any newborn animal, wobbly on their feet for quite awhile.

5. stormie

Jun 23, 2008
    MO
    Thank you all for your help, so for the freak attack. I was just really afraid I guess. We will wait and see.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Dont worry about it, you're not the only one whose had a "freak attack" today. [​IMG]

Here lately it seems like they are becoming more and more common as people fail to properly research incubation before they actually start incubating.

My day isn't complete unless I read at least 3 to 4 "freak attack" posts..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Wild Chicken

Wild Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    And than there are those of us that read, and read, and read, and read some more, and STILL have freak attacks!!! [​IMG] Just as new parents "freak" about a pending new born.....I am freaking as we speak for my chicks. [​IMG]

So don't let anyone make you feel bad for the "attack" LOL....I'm right there with ya!! [​IMG]

8. stormie

Jun 23, 2008
    MO
    It's fine now. Thanks for all the help though you guys! I'm so glad it's okay!

9. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Quote:I agree! I think the more you read the bigger the freak attack!
    Kind of like raising kids!
    Carolyn

10. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    are they webbed?? cant really tell from the pic..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by