urgent - Niacin overdose?

cyfarian

Chirping
Jun 5, 2020
Maryland, USA
I have 6 3+ week old chicks. I hatched two goslings last night and was preparing to put the day old goslings in the brooder with the chicks. I got niacin powder supplement and completely misread the scoop size. I dosed my chicks with 180 GRAMS of niacin in their water. They drank almost most of the water. So far they are acting completely normal. I know niacin is water soluble, but that's about 30 grams per chick. 1 gram is 6,250 percent of a human's daily need. Can their bodies simply pee this out or will it cause harm? The goslings didn't drink any of it except for when I dipped their beaks into it once.

How concerned should I be? Is there anything I can give them to bind with the niacin? What is at risk...kidney damage? I have on hand probiotics, electrolytes, and antibiotics. I can give them more water and add electrolytes if you think that will help. They also just came off corid 2 days ago and went onto probiotics. I didn't see bloody poop but one had the "vulture cape feathers" appearance. So I gave it in case.

Niacin is just vitamins - B complex. Since is water soluble, overdose is difficult and they would have to consume TONS of it. They will probably be fine - I could see more of an issue if they had this too large dose on a regular basis.

Give them plain water for a day or two if you are worried-I would be more worried about the chickens; geese and ducks need 2-3 times more niacin then chickens
The goslings got a negligible amount. I'm not worried about them. I am worried about the chicks. I just refilled their water.

Niacin is just vitamins - B complex. Since is water soluble, overdose is difficult and they would have to consume TONS of it. They will probably be fine - I could see more of an issue if they had this too large dose on a regular basis.

But their normal needs would be about 11 mg. They got about 30,000 mg each. That seems like tons to me, especially because they are already getting enough from their feed.

So I called several vets in the area and was ultimately referred to the pet poison hotline. 800-213-6680 They ran the calculations and said that they don't expect any complications or issues. They said to look out for GI issues or lethargy. They created a case number that any that can call in to get their calculations, guidance and case notes. It costs $65 for peace of mind and hopefully sound guidance. The person I spoke to was very nice, and placed me on a brief hold and consulted with an avian toxicologist.

Back
Top Bottom