Urgent: Parasites? Bugs under nest box!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redvelvetspumon, Dec 21, 2012.

1. redvelvetspumon

redvelvetspumon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    I have five hens. In the past month they've been laying half as much and the weather is relatively very warm around here, just yesterday the high was 80. I'm thinking parasites and i keep various little bugs crawling under their nest box, previously i found nothing when i lifted it up. My best layer has stopped laying at all for about a week now, and today i noticed redness forming on her skin in between her toes and on the bottom of her feet. She and others haven't been eating so much, probably because they lay less?

What do i do?? I plan on getting sevin and putting them in a separate, old coop to sleep at night. I already use lots of DE.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I just recently found out that sevin dust has been banned from use on chickens because its harmful to them. I also saw a post saying wood ash is really good for parasite treatment.

Also, it sounds like your chickens aren't laying too well because of the parasite infestation. Once you get this under control their laying should pick back up. Good luck.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We have been using sevin dust since the 60's in our vegetable gardens, on our dogs, and since I've had chickens. Still here typing.

4. Dahlisgrams

Dahlisgrams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    The Big Apple
    Cornell U recommends Sevin powder for lice..

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Sevin dust may be safe to still use, and i will probably still use it, but I'm just saying that it has been said that it is harmful to chickens.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Permethrin without a synergist (such as Piperonyl Butoxide), is my favorite choice for lice/mites, for the very reason that it does break down more quickly w/o one, and is extremely safe when compare w/ the alternatives, and most often perfectly effective ...

And, before we defend Union Carbide's Sevin (carbaryl) too quickly? I'm guessin' that (as usual) the manufacturer knows somethin' about their products that we don't ...
    [​IMG]

7. redvelvetspumon

redvelvetspumon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    Thanks for the advice! I know where i can get sevin dust, but where can i find permethrin or piperonyl buteroxide and how does it work? I have no idea what it is. Today my affected chicken is behaving worse but i feel like these are all in the early stages. I separated her and she seems very sleepy and tired and keeps pecking and preening certain spots in her feathers and feet probably because she's super itchy, could she have the sticktight flea? Also i checked her vent and found a bald spot right underneath- she has lots of downy feathers coming out- could she be molting? and if she is that doesn't explain her itchiness or sleepiness.. she's usually the most energetic.

Also when i check their nest box there doesnt seem to be any bugs moving around, only underneath.

8. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    "Permethrin without a synergist (such as Piperonyl Butoxide)" <-- I was sayin' you should avoid synergistic combination.

Just about every farm supply store will have Permethrin 10% (usually in pints and quarts) for mixing/spraying ... pretty much anywhere/everywhere.

Same w/ the Poultry/Garden Dust w/ Permethrin (usually at only 1/4 of 1% concentration), which I have used a few times.

My flock's dusting area is mostly wood ash and dimetomaceous earth, which serves to help prevent infestation, but I doubt it'd be sufficient to correct one.

:: edit :: as for "seeing the bugs" on the nesting boxes? Most lice 'n such are almost invisible w/o magnification and lots of light, and some external parasites only show up at night. Usually, it's the digging 'n such that let's folks know their birds have 'em :: /edit ::

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  9. Scoutmedic

Scoutmedic Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    South-Central Texas
    What application rate would you use with permethrin 10%? Since this is a liquid, do you spray the walls, bedding, and litter, or the chicken directly, or both?

Thanks,

Kenneth

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You have to unfold the label on the permethrin bottle and it gives directions. I used it full strength once on the coop because I didn't know. $20 burned pretty fast. [​IMG]Bought another bottle and diluted it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by