URGENT -- Pigs got wormed indirectly

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lothiriel, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Our pigs are/were supposed to go to the butcher this Friday. But we have a problem and it's urgent.

I gave my chickens the Wazine 17 wormer, and the eggs are supposed to be discarded for 14 days after. I was throwing them away, but my mom said to give them to the pigs. Well, now the pigs are passing worms!! Since it's indirect and they did not actually ingest the wormer (just got the "leftovers" that were in the eggs) is it ok? Can they still go in on Fri. or do we need to follow the 21 day withdrawal like the bottle says? They had 2 eggs this morning.

Please let me know soon... [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Anyone??

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I ran your question by the head vet here and he said being that it wasn't direct wormer ingested by your pigs only through the chicken eggs there is no problem and also your pigs probably had worms before you gave them the eggs since pigs dig in the dirt [​IMG]

4. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Thanks. The butcher had a different view and says he would rather be safe than sorry and not butcher them yet. It's very frustrating! They go through 150+# of grain a week! And now we have to feed them until Sept. 9, and they are already nearly 250#!

Oh well. It's a unanimous decision around here that we don't like having pigs.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm thinking better safe than sorry. Evidently enough vermicide was passed on in the eggs to kill the worms that infected the pigs.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There couldn't be enough wormer in an egg to affect a 250 lb pig.

They can pass worms any time the worms are inside them

7. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it depends on how many eggs, etc - but I would wait to be sure. Check the withdrawl time on the wormer for hogs.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I think it depends on how many eggs, etc

That's in the OP:

They had 2 eggs

A full dose for a 250 lb pig would be 2.5 OZ, and it's simply not possible for there to be anywhere near that amount in an egg when 1 OZ treats 100 birds

The butcher is being paranoid

http://www.drugs.com/vet/wazine-17.html

SWINE - For each 100 pounds (45.5 kilograms) of herd weight: give 1 fluid ounce (30 ml) of Wazine-17 per U.S. gallon (3.8 liters) of drinking water. Treat sows and gilts breeding and up to 2 weeks before farrowing, treat boars at any time, and treat pigs 1 week after weaning and every 30 days thereafter.

CHICKENS - 4 to 6 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 1 fluid ounce (30 ml) of Wazine-17 in 1 U.S. gallon (3.8 liters) of drinking water​

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Don't you want the worms gone from the pig before butchering anyways?

Treat them full strength and wait the time it says. That is what I would do 30 days before butcher naturally.

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:X2
    That's what I was thinking too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by