Urgent...Please help....duckling will die soon...UPDATE!!!PG.2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duck&chickencrazy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Ok so heres the deal...this person i know received eggs at day "21" and so she put them in and after day 28 she waited a week and decided to open them to see why and found out that they had not been 21 days when she got them but less and long sad story short...one has the whole top of its shell missing and the membrane is the only thing covering it...i really want to help it...its still alive and breathing ....what do i do???? PLEASE HELP ME... She dosnt really know much on how to help so i am trying my best to help her

they are probably on day 26 or 27 right now and i dont know what to do

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Wait and see what happens.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ducks usually don't hatch until day 28-32!

It just wasted ready. I'm trying to do the same thing for a chick right now... I really can't give viable advice other then keep it moist and warm and leave it be for awhile.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Cover the opening of the egg with with a piece of wet paper towel and put it back in the bator.

5. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    the lady thought they were gonna hatch last week and opened this one today to see why they didnt hatch and found out they are still alive...and on day 26 or 27

6. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    ok i have covered the opening with a warm, wet, wash cloth

7. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    What kind of duck eggs are they? If muscovy they take longer - 35 days.

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    You may want to change that to a piece of paper towel as horsejody suggested. Wash clothes are heavy and may smother/crush the baby.

9. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    The baby should be fine. Just keep it in the incubator and keep the damp towel on it as you already have done. As long as the membrane isn't torn and bleeding it should be alright. Even if it were, you could press the towel against it to stop the bleeding and put the little one back in. It's always best to candle first to see if there is any movement, but I know that hindsight is 20/20. We all make mistakes,but I think this one is correctable.
    Good luck.

10. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    [​IMG] Hope it works out for you & ducky. Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by