URGENT!!! Please help...Hes got worse!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by animalloverabh, Jan 19, 2012.

1. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

Hey

My peacock has got a swollen eye, there is water dripping form it and all around the eye has swollen.He is the one from my avatar. Does anyone know whats happened, or how I can help? He is really tame so I should be able to get to his eye if I need to.

Thanks,

Alanna

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Sounds like a possible eye injury (a scratch, abrasion or a poke), so if you can catch him, check it out to make sure there's no obvious eye damage and then I'd put a dab of plain Neosporin (without the Pain Relief) in it at least once a day. That may help deal with infection and hopefully keep it from getting any worse. You can get specific meds for eye injuries from a pet supply or a feed store, but I've found Neosporin (or any triple antibiotic ointment) works just as well and it's something most of us have on hand.

Before the dab of meds tho I'd also double check to see that there's nothing in the eye, like a small seed, a sticker, or any dirt etc, and maybe even flush it out with some saline solution if you have any, just to be sure. And of course if you see some obvious damage/injury to the eye... off to the vet I'd go.

There may be specific antibiotics you could add to his water to help his eye heal, but I think a dab of antibiotic ointment would have less effect on his whole system. Others may have a different view and better advice, but this is what I'd do if it were my bird. I have treated many Guinea Fowl and keets with eye issues successfully like this.

He may not like you as much after you work on his eye, so penning him up until his eye is on the mend might be a good idea. Good luck!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    If you could post a photo it would help. Are her nostrils also stopped up and is the swelling all around that side of the face? If so it could be a respiratory infection. I'm no expert and there are others on here with far more experience than me but I've had most of my peafowl come down with this at one time or another. I use 1/2 ml of Tylan 50 and inject it into the swollen sinus cavity, under the skin. I clean the eye and clear the nostrils using old fashioned listerine and I check inside the mouth to look for mucos in the throat or a blockage in the nasal cavity in the roof and clean any of those things with old fashioned listerine using a Q-tip. The Tylan 50 in the sinus cavity has worked immediately with one dose every time. It is important to act quickly.

Didn't you also just have a grown peahen to die suddenly and you don't know what it was? That would concern me now that another is showing signs of a possible illness. But, as was posted, could also be something in the eye or an injury.

4. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
  5. animalloverabh

Thank you for all your help everyone.

There is no visible injury to his eye, although he is at the bottom of the pecking order. And Im not too sure that we have Neosporin in the UK.

His nostrils appear fine, but there is swelling all around that side of his face but its mainly around his eye. I can't post a picture until next weekend because he is at my Dad's place, but will that be too late? And yes, I did just have a adult peahen die...do you think its connected?

He is acting a little down and doesn't seem to want to jump as much as he used to, he is eating fine though, and the watering around his eye has nearly stopped.

6. animalloverabh

If you need a pic, it looks a little like Yoda's link, but my peacock doesn't have the puffed cheek; its even all the way round. And his beak is normal and his eye looks alot better.

He is only a year old. We think it might be sinus?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    If you have Tylan 50 I would inject 1/2 ml in the swollen part just under the skin. I've never drained nor lanced my peafowl that had sinusitis but then I've always caught it early before it solidified.

8. animalloverabh

Is there a cure where I don't have to inject anything? Like something to put in his water?

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Possibly - there's always lots of different treatment methods and everyone will tell you something different. I do know on an adult male with a swollen face who is "acting down" time is of the essence and the method I use, after much research, works quickly. You only want to insert the needle just under the skin, not go deep, go away from the eye but it's pretty easy when it's swollen. Since your female recently died after only about a day's notice of "acting down" I really wouldn't waste time. If they don't sell Tylan 50 in the UK maybe your vet would have some. I've also read that a lof of people use Tylan 200 but it's 4 times as powerful and I try to never use meds at all and when I do I use the least amount possible. Just sharing my experience.

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Tylan 1/2 cc down the throat once s day for 3,to 5 days. Just make sure you are past the wind pipe.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by