Urgent, please help my hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aubreynoramarie, Jul 3, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    She's a year old barred rock named Agnes...

Back story-
    We just moved into a new house with a big yard. On the last night at our old house which was four days ago I noticed Agnes did not perch, but opted to sleep on the floor.

Temps here have been in the high ninetys. The flock seems happy enough? Today I went to my broody pen to check on momand baby and I had to shoo the chickens away from the gate with my foot. When I shooed the others they all just flapped away but Agnes just flopped over on her back and stayed there until I picked her up. When I picked her up I realized instantly that somehow within the past five or six days she's become a bag of bones. I can feel every one in her body. I think she weighs a pound, if not less. I do not normally pick her up because I know she doesn't like it very much but she has not looked this bad from the outside. She is flat out Emaciated. I feel so terrible!
    Anyways, so I immediately grabbed some of her food and some berries and put them in front of her. She ate a we then walked off.

This evening I went to check on things and found her collapsed in the dirt. She was not panting or breathing heavily but she was unwilling to move. Her eyes were closed. I picked her up an brought her onto the deck. She hates being picked up but when I held her she just drooped her head and closed her eyes. I still cannot believe how thin she is. What happened to her? I have her on the deck now with some yogurt, and she's standing but has her eyes shut and she will barely nibble the food. My cat is laying with her...
    Oh yeah... And she pooed and it was wry runny and green.

Please help! I have never lost a hen and I do not want to tonight [​IMG]

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Awe thats sad. If you have a little dropper or syringe I would say to use that to put a little water in her mouth every half hour or so. Not a lot though. Maybe by then someone else will come along andknow what to do.

3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Thanks, will do

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    filling out the sticky in the index of emergencies may help more.

The only thing I can tell you is to get some fluids with vitamins and electrolytes in her ASAP!! Bring her inside where it's not as hot. If you have to use a dropper and she won't take it by dripping it in the front of her beak (tilt the beak up very slightly) then you can put drops past the airway hole (trachea) to the very back of her throat. She'll need a dropper full every 15 minutes or so for an hour and then once an hour at least. Offer her scrambled or mashed hard cooked egg--a mealworm if you have it. If she won't eat even that you can give her a little sugar in her water to perk her up to eat.

If you do not have the vitamin and electrolytes to mix in water you can use sugar water and a baby vitamin such as (3-4 drops in her beak once daily) of Poly Vi Sol without iron.

5. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Thank you so much. I would fill out the sticky but I'm using my phone because we just moved and don't have Internet yet... I have poly-vi-sol. I will get some in her asap. Thank you thank you thank you.

Would anyone have any ideas as to why she would have gotten so rail thin so easily? Her chest bone thing is completely protruded. I can feel her pelvics, there is no meat on this bird at all...

6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Bright green poop contains a high amount of bile & often accompanies starving.

I had 3 hens starve to death after eating corn contaminated with black mold. It gave them an internal fungal infection. I didn't notice the problem with one of them until she didn't perch one night. I picked her up & found out she was emaciated, and she died less than an hour later. Sometimes you just don't notice conditions in time. The other two hens I nursed for weeks (most of the time without adequate knowledge) and they still died.

I don't know if your hen might make it, but I put in a prayer for comfort for her & you. [​IMG]

7. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:Oh no! I did just buy some scratch last week from a feed store I wouldn't normally go to [​IMG] all o my girls ate it though and the rest seem okay. Could bread mold cause it? I feed te bread heels. What if one of the slices had a orb of mold on it? Oh no!!! [​IMG]

So far I brought her in and gave her the vitamins and the sugar water. She didn't want that stuff but I used a syringe. I made scrambled eggs and she was wayyy more interested in that than the yogurt. She gobbled down about an eggs worth of scramble before I made her stop. She seemed a little more aware but tired so I put her back in the coop on the perch for the night. I really hope she makes it. I will be so freaking devastated if anything happens to her [​IMG]

8. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thinking good thoughts for her...update us in the morning. Seems like fluids would be very important right now - between her not drinking much, the heat and the runny poo. I hope she's perked up by morning.

9. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Thank you so much

10. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    She is much worse this morning. I am not holding much hope.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by