Urgent-please Help Quick-

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dadspossum, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Dadspossum

Dadspossum Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    My poor year old sussex is sick! I think [​IMG]
    I went to check my chickens this morning and she was laying down by the water bowl.
    She usally comes to me when I come in the door. I picked her up and moved her and she layed back down.
    When I looked at her closer her comb was curled over really tight and very very red, reder than usual.
    So i set her in the shaded corner and she closed her eye real slow and tucked her head in her feathers.
    She is still breathing fine and she LOOKS fine but I sure need some help.
    Thanks,
    Possum

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, so sorry to hear that. You should just look at the basic's first.....feel her crop to see if it's hard, check her all over for mites or lice, feel her abdomen/vent area to see if she could be eggbound.....it's possible she ate something poisonous, and sometimes chickens can have a stroke or heart attack.

I would make her comfortable.....do you have a cage you can put her in, and maybe take her out of the heat? Like put her in the house? See if you can get her to drink or eat.....

I'm so sorry....just thinking of what I would do first.......

Good luck to you,

Sharon

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'd also check to make shure she's not overheated; we're supposed to have a heat index of 107 today in south Texas...

4. Dadspossum

Jan 16, 2010
    I put her in a cool spot and sprayed her with cool water. I also put food and water in the spot where she is. She got up and sat by the water and put her beak on the edge of the bowl.
    So I got a sirnge and made her drink alittle, but, I can't get her to eat.
    Plase Help,
    Possum

5. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Is there poop on her butt feathers? Did you check the bottom of her feet for bumble foot? Get her separated- when the others notice she is sick, it can get ugly...Good luck!

6. Dadspossum

Jan 16, 2010
    She does have poop on her back feathers.

7. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    How is your bird today? Does the poop look kind of foamy, like egg whites? If so, you probably have an internal layer. Putting her in a tub of warm water, may help her pass the egg...

8. Dadspossum

Jan 16, 2010
    My poor sussie died the 15th at 8 48. she started flopping around and just polped over. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Tikka

Tikka Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    So very sorry. [​IMG]

10. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by