Urgent! Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whitep3kin, May 2, 2017.

1. whitep3kin

whitep3kin New Egg

May 2, 2017
    one morning me and fiancé wake up to one of our pekings having a bald/raw spot on both sides of his neck and a spot on his beak that look raw/bleeding, also noticed his beak is crooked.

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Can you take him to a vet?

I'm not a duck expert, I'll see if someone can help you @Amiga or @RavynFallen ?

In the meantime - a few questions may be helpful - is your duck with other ducks (possibly males)?
    Do you think this was an attack from an aggressive male or a predator?

I'm inclined to tell you to leave the beak alone, just flush it with some saline to get out any debris (just as I would advise for chickens). As for the bald/raw spots on the neck, clean/flush any cuts/wounds that you see and apply some Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have will be on soon.

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @whitep3kin

This looks like an attack on a young duck. By older ducks.

Please do not mix ages. It can be deadly.

Keep the injured duck in, away from flies, safe and in mild temperature. Let the little one play in a tub or basin of clean lukewarm (70F) water once a day. Rinse the bill three times a day with saline solution (plain mild saline). At night, dab a little antibiotic cream with no painkiller on the injury.

If there are other young ones it is probably okay to keep them together. At least provide an unbreakable mirror so the hurt duck has some company.

What do you have for a flock and living arrangements?

Thanks, Wyorp!

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How old are they? I might keep the injured one with just one or two friends, separately for a few days.

1 person likes this.
  5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is there another animal (including humans, please forgive me for asking) that has access to the same room? Did something grab the tip of the bill and rub th neck against the wires of a cage? Is there something just outside the cage that could have trapped the tip of his or her bill?

You need to find and fix whatever did this. I am not suggesting harming anyone!!!! Just look around, see what happened and keep it from happening again.

1 person likes this.
  6. whitep3kin

whitep3kin New Egg

May 2, 2017
    We're not home.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please look for what caused this and make changes....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by