1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urgent, please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Soccerchicken, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Soccerchicken

Soccerchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    My barred rock is walking low to the ground (like they do when you pet them, but they want to keep walking) and seems to be favoring one foot. The only things I've ever treated chickens for is impacted egg and chicken pox! What should I do?? She's also molting, if that's of any help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is her neck stuck down (thinking wry neck) or does she move it normally? She sounds as though she might have sprained or broken a leg. You may want to place her in a dog crate (inside the coop or run with the other chickens so that she can be with them,) and rest her leg for 5-7 days. Give her some vitamins in her water and if she is in a lot of pain a baby aspirin twice a day. Here are 2 good links for splinting if you feel it is broken: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....=34525401043&gclid=CIGK_IirjLoCFasRMwod5SEABQ

http://www.lbah.com/word/fractured-bird-leg/

3. Soccerchicken

Soccerchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Thank you so much for replying! She moves her neck fine and doesn't seem to be in much pain. I have separate sections next to the run so they can see each other, from when they were plucking feathers. Would that work? I tried a dog crate when River had an impacted egg, but she just spilled the water everywhere and slept in it.

I've felt it and I don't think it's broken, that was my main concern (because it's not broken, what else could it be?) she seemed to be perching fine yesterday, but I didn't think to see if she roosted last night.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh if she is perching, eating, drinking, and foraging, she sounds like my chicken who recovered from a sprain. Mine held her leg up and hopped on the other one for a month, but somehow she got up to her roost every night. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by