1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT...Please read

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ccusker, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ccusker

ccusker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    Hi...I have an egg that has pipped but not yet zipped...the broody pecked at the egg right where the hole was and now there is blood showing around the hole. The chck is still moving, but I don't know what to do. I'm not set up with an indoor brooder to let it finish hatching indoors, but why is she pecking it? please help@

2. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Is she trying to help it out?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

At this point there is really nothing you can do if you don't have an incubator set up to move it too. The blood is a sign that the chick isn't ready to hatch yet.

4. ccusker

ccusker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    I'd like to think so, but when it started bleeding it concerned me! She's in a small coop with 1 just-hatched chick who isn't standing/walking well. I have 2 other broodies in another coop with the rest of the new hatches. should I move the bloody egg in with them?

5. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I personally wouldn't trust her. Would you be able to keep an eye on her? You might have to intervene to protect the egg or a newly hatched chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by