urgent -- pls explain 'deep litter'

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frankenchick, Jan 29, 2008.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    We are supposed to have a blizzard tonight with temps in the minus-double-digits before wind chill. I have blocked most of the upper openings on the coop. I have heat lamps but can’t count on them because if we lose power, they’ll be out. I want to add deep litter to my bad weather prep, but am a little unclear on how it works.

Q: do I just keep adding fresh litter, stirring it around with everything else? That’s kind of what I’ve been doing; there hasn’t been any funky smell.

I’m on a crutch after a car accident -- only one, because I sprained the other-side wrist!-- so I can’t hobble down to the coop for awhile if there’s much snow. I’ll put balm on their combs to prevent frostbite, but I’m a little anxious about my babies.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    traditional deep litter method is not something you do in a day - it is a season-long process.

However there is no reason you shouldnt dump a deeper layer of litter in there than you have now [​IMG] No particular need to stir. They could try snuggling down in it if they need extra warmth.

If it will be *that* cold and windy have you considered temporarily blocking off ALL the vents, I wouldn't do it if you have had problems in the past with ammonia smell but otherwise it might be something to consider.

Good luck,

Pat

3. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Thanks for the great links! Apparently, this is what I've been doing since Oct. The one thing I do is pick out the really big globs if I'm motivated and have remembered to bring gloves.

The winds were ferocious last night, but I felt a little more at ease having taken the steps that I did.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by