URGENT PLS HELP MY CHICKEN IS SICK AND POSSIBLY DYING

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PepperDuck, Dec 25, 2016.

1. PepperDuck

PepperDuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2014
    My one buff Orpington has been lethargic for the last couple days and recently it has gotten a lot worse. Her tail is dropping to the point where it is in between her legs, she's having balance problems and can barely walk, but she is eating and drinking normally (I have been giving her water with ProVita for poultry in it) and she is still doing bad.... we have tried gently massaging her underbelly (maybe she is egg bound?)... she was like this a few weeks ago but not as bad and she seems like she is in a lot of pain now... pls help if you have any ideas of what could be wrong or how to help her, we only hav one other gen and it wld b tragic if we lost one of them (we hate to see them suffer like this)
    In this picture she is laying down she hasn't been laying down much we think it might be because it hurts to lay, in this pic she lost her balance and I was monitoring her while she lay there for a bit in the rare winter sun's warm rays... She is currently separated in her own area (closed dog crate) with a heat lamp shining in the front part.... Please help, any insight on what could be wrong is greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Areeba

Areeba Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Is she using her legs or not at all? Is she sitting on her breast bone not using her legs? Can she stand or walk?

Thanking.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take her to a vet?

How does her abdomen feel - hard, soft, swollen, bloated, fluid filled?
    When was the last time she laid an egg?
    What does her poop look like?

Since she is not walking, seems to be in pain and has her tail down between her legs, she could have a reproductive/internal laying disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. Unfortunately if it is one of these, there is not much you can do but give supportive care.

You can try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath to see if this will give her any relief. Adding the vitamins to her water and making sure she is staying hydrated and eating.

Let us know how she is doing.

4. PepperDuck

Mar 23, 2014

She was only standing yesterday I just went down this morning and she is only sitting but still with her tail dropped not normal or on her side. She isn't sitting at all on her Crop (I posted a pic on one of the posts below)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

What do you feed?......She appears over weight.......Those symptoms could be a lot of things....

6. PepperDuck

Mar 23, 2014
    She is not walking anymore and struggling.Her poop looks normal maybe a little soft, the bone that runs under her belly seems more prominent than usual and she seems to b swollen and squishy on the right side looking at her... she hasn't layed in a while the last time she had a similar episode of this except not as extreme...
    Thank you guys so much for your help [​IMG]

7. PepperDuck

Mar 23, 2014
    We feed them Dumor pellets from tractor supply... and she hasn't gotten treats in weeks because we have been out and when we do hav treats we don't give them out that often.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She appears to be puffed up and uncomfortable. If she feels swollen then most likely she has a reproductive/internal laying disorder.

Do the best you can with supportive care.

I'm so sorry, but if she is suffering and doesn't make a quick turn around, the kindest, most loving thing to do would put her down.

I have a couple of Buff Orpington girls and they are so sweet. I do hope she recovers.[​IMG]

9. PepperDuck

Mar 23, 2014

Thank you so much for helping, a couple other people I have talked to today have suggested some other methods that we are going to try, we can only hope :(

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you find a solution that works, please post it. Would love to learn other methods/alternative that may be helpful to others in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by