Urgent - power went out / chicks under heat lamp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PlentywoodFarm, Mar 17, 2013.

1. PlentywoodFarm

PlentywoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Hey guys, typing from my cell. My chicks range from 4 days old to two weeks and have been under the brooders. Well, our power just went out! What do I do? They are chirping really house and its cold in our house.

2. amnich

amnich Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Not sure if you have any, but when shipping chicks many hatcheries use hand warmers like you would put in gloves. If you have any way to heat (such as a non-electric stove or a grill) you could warm up some towels and put them in the brooder. If they are all snuggling together for warmth, which I am guessing they are, you could just place a towel or blanket over them to trap some of the heat. Just make sure you don't tuck them in too much so that they can't get out from underneath.

3. TexChik

TexChik New Egg

Jul 16, 2012
    Texas
    Have a fire place? Could you build a fire and put them close to it? Probably won't be as warm as the brooder but will keep the chill off.

4. myohmiya

myohmiya Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    Can you buy those hand warmers from a near by store, activate and cover with something like a cardboard box for them to sit on? Fireplace to put them near?

5. TexChik

TexChik New Egg

Jul 16, 2012
    Texas
    Or if you have uncooked pinto beans and can find a way to heat them up, grill or fireplace, they will stay warm in a sock for a long time. I use this method when my kids get ear aches. But I'm able to heat them in the microwave.

6. PlentywoodFarm

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Yes, hot hands! We've got some warming up now and I've got the brooded near a gas stove. Poor babies!

7. PlentywoodFarm

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Whew... power is back on! Thanks everyone!! [​IMG] The temp fell to 70 degrees before I got the hot hands out, but they worked great. I covered them with a paper towel just to be sure it didn't burn their skin. It's still storming really bad, so I left them piled in a corner under some paper towels in case the power goes out in the middle of the night and we don't wake up. I figure they can run to the other end if it gets too hot for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by