URGENT*Puffy Eye- Crusty Swollen Legs*

snowhorse

Pantry Brook Farm
10 Years
Jun 13, 2009
MA
I have a friend of mine that was asking about my help with her flock. She has about 16 birds of all ages and sizes. They all have some concerns.

The one that I am most concerned with is a Silkie Roo. He has puffy/swollen eyes and his legs are extremely crusty and swollen. He gets around okay, but has also lost a significant amount of weight and is not up to his Roo like agressive self.

She has another one with a similar leg description, and I did notice a few of her other flock has some of the scales on there feet starting to lift. To me I'm thinking scaly leg mites. They all also are missing some feathers.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Breeds are - Silkies, Cochin Frizzle Bantams, Ameraucana/EE, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, White Delaware. Ranging in age from 1 year to 8 years.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Scaly Crusty legs, Lifting Scales, Puffy/ swollen eyes, weight loss, feather loss

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Not Sure

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
They all appear to be eating and drinking with the exception of the Silkie Roo who is loosing weight

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop looks normal to runny

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
VetRx application to the legs- Whether or not she has done that yet Im not for sure

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat completely byself

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Working on some pictures

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Small Coop with access outside to small run. Dirt floor in run- Coop has shavings

Would like to know the best course of action at this point and what she needs to purchase. At this point she has nothing but permetherin dust. Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom