1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urgent Puppy help!!! ~~~~~~~~UPDATE!!! SHES HAVING THEM!!!~~~~~~~~

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MonkeyZero, Aug 2, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Its day 63 or 64 already.Shavani is the mama. Well she is panting a bit, and she paces around, stops and lays on her side or belly. She has her mucus plug thats just on her vulva hair. Some clear snotty discharge from the vulva. I have her nest box all ready, and added 2 old yet clean shirts. NO NESTING. She has the box in her HUGE dog house. I feel puppies moving!
    But still no puppies. Her water hasnt broke!
    She is doing ok on the eating, as she's eating about half of the food she normally does.Well the pupply from the 1st litter and daddy play with her a bit. The vet is closed but a tech told me its very normal. She said not to worry. I did my studying before breeding.
    Its her 2nd litter. Her first was un expected. We gave the old pups to a family member. And kept one
    Shes a chi
    People says its gonna happen in 24 hrs. Nothing. Its been going on for 4 days. HELP PLEASe
    I dont wanna get c section done unless its urgent.
    If no pups, ill go to the vet on wed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    We had a Boston Terrier who we accidently bred w/ our much bigger male boston. Both puppies ended up dying because the vet was closed and we had to wait all night. They we're huge. We had her fixed afterwards. Just keep a eye on her Im sure she'll be fine.

3. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If she is like this I would take her in sooner and see what is going on. You don't want to wait to long if she needs help having the pups. Good luck with the puppies.
    Chris

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    After 4 days I'd have already been to the vet. Don't wait until Wednesday, labor doesn't last this long if it's normal.

5. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Her pups are small. I have it scheduled for wed. Its not labor though. no digging

6. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I was a vet tech for 8 years. She doesn't have to be "digging". If she has any fluid/mucus coming from her vulva, she is starting labor. If this has been going on for 4 days or more I would take her in immediately. Also there is no way of telling if her pups will be small or not or if one is coming out the wrong way. Many times I've seen the whole litter be normal sized and have 1 huge puppy in there that blocks the way. The pups can definately die if left in there too long, besides that, it can make the mom very sick and even cause death.
    Also where I worked, you didn't have to schedule a c-section. Don't feed her after 6pm the night before you take her in so they can do the procedure right then. Water is fine for her to have.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My lab just had puppies 6 1/2 weeks ago. She had the clear, slimy discharge for about a week before she delivered her puppies. We called the vet about it because we were concerned about how long it was going on as well and they said perfectly normal. We never saw her water break and even took her to the vet for a late pregnancy xray to confirm the number of puppies and get a status on her due date. They told us 24-48 hours and she delivered the first pup in our truck on the way home. All puppies whelped fine once we got her in the house. Not all dogs show nesting behavior either. I think if you are worried, you should take her in, but I'm not reading anything that sounds worrisome in your post. It all sounds pretty normal from what we experienced. As long as there is no green coming out of her, I think she'll be whelping soon. Please keep us posted and let us know how she does.

Jody

8. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Um well shes doing fine. She hasnt nested and the pups are moving. Shes not eating, only drinking. Today I took her temp. It was 99.4
    The dischagre thats clear has been going on for a while.
    She sometimes stands there looking lost. So i go outside every 15 mins or watch her through the window. Shes sleeping right now

9. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    WELL
    the fluid isnt leaking, just on her vulva, like a slimy coating. Its her 2nd litter. Also her vulva isnt poofy.

10. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    If I read correctly, it doesn't sound as if she's been in labor for 3-4 days, so I think she's still fine. I would remove the other dogs, and give her quite space. She's not going to settle till things are right for her. I was going to say if she was eating, she's not ready either, so now that she's stopped it's getting closer. Keep an eye on her, give her her space and some water and a bit more time. Is it hot where you are? Keep an eye on her temp. too. Sometimes there can be long spaces between pups too. Just be careful. Try and let nature take care of things. We often interfere when it's not needed and I don't think it's needed yet.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by